Kribensis Starting To Spawn.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Fluval-1200 said:
Should be free swimming in the next couple of days and ive added neutral ph regulator (7.0ph) to the tank so I can get an even amount of males and females.

Now I don't know a huge amount about kribs, (or fish in general, truth be told) but I would have thought that the time to add the regulator would have been before spawning. I would assume that gender is decided at the point of conception, ie when the sperm fertilises the egg - that's certainly what happens in mammals, I assume it is with fish too. You would need the regulator to influence the X & Y chromosomes in the sperm, wouldn't you?

the_lock_man said:

Should be free swimming in the next couple of days and ive added neutral ph regulator (7.0ph) to the tank so I can get an even amount of males and females.

Now I don't know a huge amount about kribs, (or fish in general, truth be told) but I would have thought that the time to add the regulator would have been before spawning. I would assume that gender is decided at the point of conception, ie when the sperm fertilises the egg - that's certainly what happens in mammals, I assume it is with fish too. You would need the regulator to influence the X & Y chromosomes in the sperm, wouldn't you?

Yeah your right, I have actually been using the ph regulator for months now lol even before I bought the pair of kribs.

Forgot to update, I removed about 60+ fry from the nest when the lights went off and left them about 30ish fry so they don't freak out.
Been feeding the fry 3 times a day on finely crushed discus food (bright red) there stomachs are all nice and red.
Parents are caring for the last of the fry and there surprisingly clever, my lights go off at 8 and they move there fry back to the nest at 5 to 8 so just before lights go off.

Surprising how they pick up on things just make sure you try and stick to your routine especially if they are used to it like that
Did you manage to snap me a pic after you took them out??
Are the fry eating the Discus food alright?

Yeah they love the crushed discus food.
Parents are starting to lose interest and there 40ish fry has now gone down to 2 fry.
Male is starting to try and spawn again now and the females belly is starting to get bigger so can see another spawn soon.

Oooo congrats!!!!
Mine are both still transfixed on looking after the 1 lonely fry they have left no signs of spawning again

Forgot about this thread lol, been busy taking my tank down as im going for a longer but lower tank so I can reach the bottom with ease lol.

Couple pics of the fry a couple days ago, there getting big now and starting to get food from the top.

Thanks, how's your fry doing?
They are starting to breed again, I now have a clear shot of the cave so I can get decent pictures of eggs and hatching etc.

Mine lone one is a little chunk now haha
Will start to condition them again at the beginning of next week I think
Congrats on the new possible spawn keep me updated wont you :)

Been a week or so since an update as ive been super busy.
My fry are growing well but they seem to be dieing off over the last couple days? water is fine.
The parents spawned about 80+ eggs last night, I will get a pic up later.

New tank still isn't here!!!!

Well eggs have been moved to bottom of cave and they are hatching. Pretty cool to see, theres like little tails poking out the eggs.
Id say its been around 24 hours since the spawn and its been roughly 4 weeks and 2 days from there first spawn.....Im going to be overrun at the end of year lol.

New tank has also finally arrived. Busy busy busy.

Well got 30 of my first batch left, second batch of 100 I have 7 left and my female has died.
Also lost 3 of my smiling acara which are hard to get hold of, im not impressed!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back