Kribensis Jewel hybrid?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I currently have 7 tanks, all of which contain cichlids of some sort. I recently rescaped a tank and modeled it after the Congo river and have Congo tetras, Kribensis cichlids and Jewel cichlid living extremely peacefully. Today i woke up with my Kribensis cichlids having laid eggs, and I know I only have female Kribs in that tank. I have a single male jewel in that tank as well and he seems to have visited the cave that the eggs are at. Could he have fertilized the eggs and if so, would that result in some sort of hybrid? Should i remove the eggs or let them hatch? Thank you.

No. That wouldn't work. The eggs are likely infertile.

Kribensis Cichlids (p. pulcher) from Nigeria and the northern edge of Cameroon, and the standard aquarium jewel Cichlids are not Congo River fish. Hemichromis lifalli is from near the mouth of the Congo, but that's as close as it gets. lifalli are not the most aggressive and stay small, so a lot of dealers now sell all of the hard to identify jewels under that name. They can't cross with kribs, as even if it were biologically possible, they spawn differently.

Eventually, the jewels will kill the kribs. I have tried several times with several Hemichromis species, but the result was always eventually the same - someone had to be gotten out fast!

If the male jewel got into a krib cave after spawning, then the fish have given up. Their egg defence is ferocious.

No. That wouldn't work. The eggs are likely infertile.

Kribensis Cichlids (p. pulcher) from Nigeria and the northern edge of Cameroon, and the standard aquarium jewel Cichlids are not Congo River fish. Hemichromis lifalli is from near the mouth of the Congo, but that's as close as it gets. lifalli are not the most aggressive and stay small, so a lot of dealers now sell all of the hard to identify jewels under that name. They can't cross with kribs, as even if it were biologically possible, they spawn differently.

Eventually, the jewels will kill the kribs. I have tried several times with several Hemichromis species, but the result was always eventually the same - someone had to be gotten out fast!

If the male jewel got into a krib cave after spawning, then the fish have given up. Their egg defence is ferocious.
That's what I thought, but the Kribensis cichlid is still defending the cave from all the Congo tetras in the tank making it seem like the eggs are still there even if they are infertile. Also I just use jewel cichlid and Kribensis cichlid to refer to their genus's since they are the most well known and most kept. By technicality the cichlids i have are Hemichromis lifalili and Pelvicachromis subocellatus which are part of the Congo river system if I am not mistaken. Sorry for the confusion, however in theory since they they are in the same genus's as both Jewel Cichlids and Kribensis Cichlids the outcome should still be the same. Also I have had this tank set up for over a year and the fish are fully mature and do not show aggression towards each other so perhaps I just got lucky with my individuals. Thanks.

P subocellatus is a really hard to find fish! Calling them kribs really confuses the issue - they are very different to keep.

I've had subocellatus and lifallili from the mouth of the Congo, in the region leading out to sea. They are both beauties.

That's what I thought, but the Kribensis cichlid is still defending the cave from all the Congo tetras in the tank making it seem like the eggs are still there even if they are infertile. Also I just use jewel cichlid and Kribensis cichlid to refer to their genus's since they are the most well known and most kept. By technicality the cichlids i have are Hemichromis lifalili and Pelvicachromis subocellatus which are part of the Congo river system if I am not mistaken. Sorry for the confusion, however in theory since they they are in the same genus's as both Jewel Cichlids and Kribensis Cichlids the outcome should still be the same. Also I have had this tank set up for over a year and the fish are fully mature and do not show aggression towards each other so perhaps I just got lucky with my individuals. Thanks.
P subocellatus is a really hard to find fish! Calling them kribs really confuses the issue - they are very different to keep.

I've had subocellatus and lifallili from the mouth of the Congo, in the region leading out to sea. They are both beauties.
No yeah they are beautiful and one good thing about living in Florida is that there are a lot of fish farms that breed rare tropical fish. Probably the main reason why I love cichlids is the variety that I can find decently close to me. And to be honest ive never kept normal Kribensis cichlids, I was tempted with buying some white color type Kribensis but still havent kept any. I have them in a really nice black water esc biotope so their colors and patterns really look amazing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back