Kribensis Cichlid Tank Mates

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Slf7970

Reaction score
Hello.

I have recently brought some Kribs to go into my Juwel Rio 180 tank. I'm just getting confused as I'm seeing complete opposite advice on tank mates with some sources saying other dwarf cichlids are fine, and some sources saying avoid all together.

I'm just after some opinions on my setup specifically and what other cichlids I could keep with my Kribs. I'm also buying more rocks and bogwood and going to make the majority of the tank floor caves so hopefully there's plenty of territory to go around

Tank setup is Juwel Rio 180, Fluval U4 filter, full length undergravel with Eheim powerhead.

Current Residents
2 - Syndotis Petricola
1 - Pleco
3 - Kribs
15 - Swordtails
10 - various Tetra (neon, cardinal etc)
4 - Harliquin Rasbora.

Just some advice on any other cichlids that could work, only want a small amount just to swim around the middle, but everything I can find seems to be bottom dwelling which would put it in competition with the Kribs

Last edited:
My krib is in with a peacock cichlid, jewel cichlid, convict cichlid and a rainbow shark amd.a.common pleco. It found a home and guards that, but isn't very aggressive at all. There are occasional scuffles in the tank between everyone, but they all have their own space so...it works.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

--------------------
Synodontis petricola come from Lake Tanganyika, which has a pH above 8.0 and a GH above 350ppm.

Kribensis, plecos, tetras and rasboras come from water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 150ppm.

Swordtails come from water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH around 200ppm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back