Kribensis breeding behaviour?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishguy194

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

my Kribensis pair have continued to show strange versions of mating. They shimmer at eachother but never at the same time. As of this morning the female has only left her chosen cave twice which is highly unusual. When she was out she darted very quickly and stopped very quickly only infront of the cave.She then almost enticed the male to attack her by darting infront of him. They a then spun around Eachother very quickly before she returned to the cave. I am unable to see in with a torch, but do you think she may have layed eggs?

She also has spent quite some time with her head blocking the entrance to the cave
thanks,

Hello!

Kribensis in my experience are much more showing when it comes to breeding, often dancing/shimmying at each other.

It sounds like she is likely to have laid eggs, or will be soon. The most easy way to be positive that this is imminent would be to look and see If you see her ovipositor tube (clear/white) tube protruding from her anus. This is a sign that is has recently, or will be laying eggs soon.

The female will guard them fiercely and if she did lay eggs, you should see free swimming fry in about a week.

Thanks so much for getting back to me. After 2 days of the continued aggressive behaviour, not allowing anyone in the cave, I woke up this morning to find her outside and back to shimmering as they were before

I took the cave out and couldn’t see any eggs. I assume she ate them. However, is it normal for them to go back to breeding behaviour so quickly?

cheers,
Josh

Is your male partnering up with the female? Might be the female has layed eggs but the male has not fertilised them? How old are the pair? You will normally find the male will guard the eggs and the female would tend to them and both parents would look after the fry when born.

Is your male partnering up with the female? Might be the female has layed eggs but the male has not fertilised them? How old are the pair? You will normally find the male will guard the eggs and the female would tend to them and both parents would look after the fry when born.
Hi
Yes I believe they have partnered up. I posted a previous thread doccumenting their behaviour. They have shimmered at eachother for the last month, but strangely never at the same time. The male is aggressive to the dither fish in the tank but not the female and vice versa.
She went into her chosen cave 3 days ago, with aggressive behaviour towards all tank mates including the male. The male hovered outside the cave and drove off the dither fish. Other behaviour as I described Untill this morning when everything was back to normal, the female presenting for the male again and out of the cave. They have been showing this behaviour for about two months, I got them about three months ago

cheers,
Josh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back