Krib ate 6 neons

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Madison25

Reaction score
Absolutely gutted, have a single krib kept among community fish for a while, no problems, occasional chase but that's it. Yesterday put in 4 platys and 6 neon tetras. Well it killed one tetra instantly, an hour later 2 more gone and this morning they are all dead. Worried now it has the 'taste' and it will start going after other fish. Have 6 penguin tetras but it's never bothered them.

Absolutely gutted, have a single krib kept among community fish for a while, no problems, occasional chase but that's it. Yesterday put in 4 platys and 6 neon tetras. Well it killed one tetra instantly, an hour later 2 more gone and this morning they are all dead. Worried now it has the 'taste' and it will start going after other fish. Have 6 penguin tetras but it's never bothered them.
How big is your tank?

Most fish who have been put in together since a young age usually are able to get along but the new lovely fish you put in that you thought would work are seen as "intruders" by more aggressive species like the Kribs. So he decided to take matters into his own hands and kill the intruders

Luckily the kids took it quite well... were all excited for the release of the fish and wasn't expecting a murder. Won't be putting anything else in for a while now!
Yah that's probably best. Maybe try some nerite snails! Their pretty and won't get eaten

We have 4, best thing we've put in... tank is crystal clean!
Nice! They are really cool. I've been trying to get some in my tank for a while now...

A Midsomer tank....
What does that mean?
A mid summer night murder (TV show if I recollect correctly)

--------------------
For the OP and anyone else wanting to introduce new fish, feed the fish really well and re-arrange the tank before adding new fish to tanks with cichlids or any other fish that is bigger than the ones you plan on adding. Feeding the fish in particular, can help reduce aggression and stops bigger fish seeing new fish as potential food.

I have never had such a thing happen with kribs, and they've been a favourite for decades. But most likely, it ties into a social fish being alone. Behaviour gets twisted. Lone Cichlids, even gentle species, get weird sometimes.

He isn't even predatory - he's a "detritivore" - an eater of leftovers on the stream bottom. But he is territorial, and that's where his wiring has probably gone wrong.

He isn't even predatory - he's a "detritivore" - an eater of leftovers on the stream bottom. But he is territorial, and that's where his wiring has probably gone wrong.
Not anymore he ain't. He's a full blown predator looking for Arnold Schwarzenegger to snack on, and any neons that get in his way and fair game :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back