Koi

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Doggfather

Al Bundy
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i was browsing liveaquaria.com and i came across a koi article which said the longest living koi was 226 years old, is this true? do koi's really live up to that long?

There are rumors of 200 year old Koi in Japan but as no person or group of people have followed it through its life it can not be solidly verified. Some can live up to 100 years but its more common for a Koi in good conditions, well feed and cared for to reach between 30-60 years.

Some can live up to 100 years but its more common for a Koi in good conditions, well feed and cared for to reach between 30-60 years.

it's odd, back then, they don't have half the technology (filter, etc) that we have now, but they can get their fish to live 100 years longer! something to think about...

Yes, IME they only live to 25-30. But there are hundreds of reports documenting Koi that have lived for 100 years or so in the breeding mud ponds in Japan. These huge mud ponds aren't often checked and fish are just caught and sold on from each pond which contain different strains etc. But apparently some Koi avade capture reaching very large sizes, some breeders claim these Koi to have been there when their father owned the business and so on.......

some breeders claim these Koi to have been there when their father owned the business and so on.......

yeah, so it probably will be quite in accurate in many cases

Yes could be you never know. I wouldn't be suprised if smoe do live to this age.

im sure there are a few that live this age in people home ponds, if there large enough i guess

carp and koi can be quite long lived. I'm sure water conditions and size of habitat have a lot to do with it. I wouldn't be surprized if some of those cases you mentioned were true.

ALASKA

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back