Know a good Algae Eater?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a cycled tank now and am getting quite a lot of algae. I would like to have a couple of algae eaters but don't know any ones that stay small

Can anyone recommend some names and the approximate sizes they will reach?

Thanks.

P.S. they need to get on with other bottom feeders as I have 4 albino corys

Bristlenoses or siamese algea eaters,both grow to around 4" and are peaceful community fish.

Pretty much any dwarf pleco would do the trick, they vary in size do your research first. Also, otocinclus are absolutely wonderful. They are very docile, don't annoy any other fish and don't disturb substrate, plants or decorations. They max out at about 1 1/2 inches. As they are so small, you will probably need several, depending on the size of your tank. My experience has been that I've need 3 or 4 for a 10-gal (US) tank.

Best fishes!

Kryten. What you need to ask yourself is not what fish I can get to eat my algae? Although that's commendable, but shouldn't the question be, why am I getting so much algae? If you have an algal problem that obviously concerns you, then you are looking to have several if not more algae eaters. The thing about these fish is that algae eaters don't just eat algae and some are particular about the algae they eat. Let's put it this way. Say you like eating Big Macs, and when you first go to your new home that's what you're given. Great! Then the next day you're again presented with another and another and another and another. you will soon be sick of it and look for something else. The same with alae eaters, and all fish. They need a change in diet. So it's up to you to find the solution to the algae problem. Algae eaters will eat some algae usually a fine film that is almost invisible tothe naked eye. If you can see it, they won't eat it, especially if its the hairy kind or the tufted kind. Algae eaters can be likened to cows. They graze they don't crop the grass like goats.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back