Knife Livebearers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

£12 for 5  Knife Livebearer (Alfaro cultratus,) that is a bargain  there not often seen in local fish shops and can cost more than £12 or more a pair, However they are very nice looking fish quite easy to keep  and breed. They need plenty of swimming space with plenty plants/floating for fry to take cover . When kept well fed they tend to leave there young alone I have found on many occasions that this species seems to produce more males. Although I’m not sure whether tank temperature has something to do with it. Good luck with breeding them.

Had them before a long time ago ( £12 for 8 ) 3 males & 5 females couldn't believe the price either . £1.89 each but he gave me them for £12 because I always buy from them now .
smile.png

wow, they look cool. are they easy to keep just like guppies?

I always have kept my livebearers in the same species tank but short of room ( need more tanks ) so popped these in with the guppies , clown loaches , yoyo loaches & cory's until I can get hold of another tank , not had a problem with them in the community tank so far . Breeding is easy had them before many years ago every 3-4 weeks the female can produce 20-40 fry in a single brood still waiting for the 1st young but its only a week since I bought them .

Quite easy to keep, like good, clean, flowing water. and mine droppped 50 fry 5 weeks ago and found another 5 yesterday.

Finally got some young not given them the time they deserve but its a start . Not a great pic .

Attachments

• 20140305_221421_17309-2.jpg
    20140305_221421_17309-2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 98
Not long to go with this one just bought a load of Phyllanthus Fluitans & Limnobium Laevigatum to give them plenty of floating cover !!

Attachments

• 20140307_150850_23994-1.jpg
    20140307_150850_23994-1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 90
Alfaro Cultratus fry 11 weeks old a bit small but starting to grow now , mixed in with them a few Xenotoca Eiseni & guppy fry , lost my males and couldn't find anywhere to get some more so looking after these precious little ones , hope to get a mixture of males and females from them .

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back