Kissing gourami and pleco growth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Penelope .R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I have two pretty simple questions.
Firstly I was wondering how long it takes for a kissing gourami to reach full size? My gourami Adonis has been with me for over a year now, and while he has grown a bit I thought he would be bigger by now.
Secondly, basically the same question but about a pleco. Same deal, I've had this guy about a year and a half but the pleco (named Rhino) hasn't grown as much as I thought.
This is my first time with both of these fish, I've done a fair amount of searching but can't find a lot of direct answers.
Anybody have any input?

Also here is Adonis and Rhino...

Attachments

• 20220309_191140.jpg
    20220309_191140.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20220309_191201.jpg
    20220309_191201.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220309_191157(0).jpg
    20220309_191157(0).jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 26
Is that a common pleco? If so, they grow very big fairly quickly. They get to be over 2 feet long eventually. I know in their first year they can hit 7" if well fed. I hope you have a very large tank.

Growth rate will depend on diet, water quality, temperature, and age of the fish.

Is that a common pleco? If so, they grow very big fairly quickly. They get to be over 2 feet long eventually. I know in their first year they can hit 7" if well fed. I hope you have a very large tank.

Growth rate will depend on diet, water quality, temperature, and age of the fish.
I thought he was a common pleco when I got him, like I said it's my first time with this fish. I've had Bristlenose in smaller tanks in the past, but never got a common pleco because of the size.
I have a 65 gallon tank currently, but will be moving this entire community into a larger tank when I move to NC end of this year. My plan is around 200 gallons, either going to get it custom made to fit my living room or try my hand at building my own tank...
My aspirations may be a bit high lol
Specifically because of Rhino I'm planning for it to have more floor space for him, more short and wide than tall and narrow.

I just feel like he's growing slowly, I think he's well fed, he gets flakes and pellets in addition to tons of veggies, this tank also has silver dollars so a lot goes into feeding time.
He is around 8 to 9 inches currently.

I'm not worried or anything, purely curious.

I thought he was a common pleco when I got him, like I said it's my first time with this fish. I've had Bristlenose in smaller tanks in the past, but never got a common pleco because of the size.
I have a 65 gallon tank currently, but will be moving this entire community into a larger tank when I move to NC end of this year. My plan is around 200 gallons, either going to get it custom made to fit my living room or try my hand at building my own tank...
My aspirations may be a bit high lol
Specifically because of Rhino I'm planning for it to have more floor space for him, more short and wide than tall and narrow.

I just feel like he's growing slowly, I think he's well fed, he gets flakes and pellets in addition to tons of veggies, this tank also has silver dollars so a lot goes into feeding time.
He is around 8 to 9 inches currently.

I'm not worried or anything, purely curious.
Glad you have a good set up and plan for him! After the first year they do slow down in growth, if he is already nine inches I don't think there is anything to worry about. My cousin's common came out to around 20" after almost 5 years.

Glad you have a good set up and plan for him! After the first year they do slow down in growth, if he is already nine inches I don't think there is anything to worry about. My cousin's common came out to around 20" after almost 5 years.
Great, I've always wanted one but held off because of my tanks size and how widely neglected these poor guys are, but when I decided to move I knew I was going to get a much larger tank and snatched up a medium size one with the plan of expanding. Thinking about it now I guess he has grown pretty well, it just feels slow since I see him every day lol, he was around 5 inches when I got him.
I named him Rhino because he liked to rip up my decor and dig up plants to hide under, it drove me crazy until I built him a little cave out of slate, and now he's pretty chill and comes out mostly to eat.
Any info on the gourami?

Great, I've always wanted one but held off because of my tanks size and how widely neglected these poor guys are, but when I decided to move I knew I was going to get a much larger tank and snatched up a medium size one with the plan of expanding. Thinking about it now I guess he has grown pretty well, it just feels slow since I see him every day lol, he was around 5 inches when I got him.
I named him Rhino because he liked to rip up my decor and dig up plants to hide under, it drove me crazy until I built him a little cave out of slate, and now he's pretty chill and comes out mostly to eat.
Any info on the gourami?
Sorry, the only gourami I have kept myself are Pearl gourami, and it has tank 6 months out of the pet shop to reach sexual maturity for them. I am sure someone with experience in them will come along soon.

Edit* correcting autocorrect

Kissing Gourami's take about 3-4 years to get to 10-12 inches in length. They like good water conditions and need a diet high in Carbohydrate. I fed mine on porridge, no salt. Cooked the way you would eat it. Place it on a saucer and dropped on the bottom of the tank. Mine spawned aged around 5 years. I had my pair in about 250 liters of water so not a huge tank.

Kissing Gourami's take about 3-4 years to get to 10-12 inches in length. They like good water conditions and need a diet high in Carbohydrate. I fed mine on porridge, no salt. Cooked the way you would eat it. Place it on a saucer and dropped on the bottom of the tank. Mine spawned aged around 5 years. I had my pair in about 250 liters of water so not a huge tank.
Thank you 😊 I'll have to whip up some porridge for him then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back