King tiger pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elephant nose 4

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi I have a 3yr old king tiger pleco and use to buy her chopped frozen prawns to eat with her other food, but they stopped selling it so I've bought cooked prawns can I feed her one of these chopped up?
Thanks

I wouldn’t. Prawns contain thiaminase which leads to vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency. The little frozen “prawns” we buy for prawn cocktails and prawn sandwiches are actually a species of shrimp, which don’t contain thiaminase.
(They’re also precooked btw)

I wouldn’t. Prawns contain thiaminase which leads to vitamin B1 (thiamine) deficiency. The little frozen “prawns” we buy for prawn cocktails and prawn sandwiches are actually a species of shrimp, which don’t contain thiaminase.
Aren't prawns and shrimp the same thing?

Aren't prawns and shrimp the same thing?
The names are used interchangeably but officially they’re in different sub-orders.

I googled them and found this. Not the most scientific site but it sums them up.

“Prawns have branching gills, claws on three pairs of their legs and second pincers that are larger than their front ones. Additionally, prawns lack the distinct bend in their bodies that is seen with shrimp and each of their body segments overlaps the one behind it in succession.

Shrimp, on the other hand, have lamellar (or plate-like) gills, and claws on two pairs of their legs. Their front pincers are typically their largest. Additionally, shrimp have a distinct bend in their bodies and their second segments overlap the first and third segments.”
iirc most prawns contain thiaminase and most shrimp don’t.

Yep it's actually the prawn cocktail ones I bought.
Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back