King kong? Panda? Or shadow panda?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ladykelly

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
15848932944156644134590390190770.jpg

I fallen in love with shrimp and trying to make a colony of cardina. I found a breeder that was selling "panda" king kong and shadow pandas for $8.00 each but you can't pick them out. Which I'm fine with. But now I'm tad curious on what these guys are? They are mostly black (head gear is black too) And either 1 or 3 thin stripes in body..... I also have crystals 2 I think that are high grade.. . More white then coloured.

The 1st picture the shrimp in middle I think I know what she is..... big al claims shes a jade. They also said she caridina but I think that's wrong. I believe jades are noecardina? I also have 2 red ones. Anyways the seem healthy and happy:)

Absolutely beautiful shrimp. I’ve actually been looking into getting some crystal shrimp.

I see you have cherry shrimp in your tank. That was one of my biggest concerns is that the cherry shrimp will breed with the crystals. Do yours interbreed?

Cherry shrimps and crystal shrimps can't interbreed because they are in different genera. Cherries are Neocaridina, crystals are Caridina.

No they dont. Cherry are neocadinas they cant breed with crystals or any cardina. Neocardins prefer hard water and temperature to be tad warmer then cardina. Cardina prefers soft water and lower temperature. They are also more fragile then neocardinas. High nitrates, ammonia, will kill them. From what I read cardina not for beginners but if you research them it can be done....just note they aren't as cheap as neo. I also read if you keep both groups together the water should be to the cardina preference. Soft, temperature around 76ish. Real plants are amazing. Shrimp will graze off of them. The easiest plants to keep alive are java moss and java fern, anubias. Floating plants are also great.. most people don't like duck weed but from what I saw on YouTube shrimp apprentely love it. I have frog bit too (another floater.) Floaters help with nitrates which I have a issue with.i also have driftwood I bought from pet store. It can help soften the water and again another food source. It creates biofilm. Which shrimp loves. I also feed a little bug bites pellets. Just enough that they can eat within a hour.im not an expert at this but I been reading up on them.

Last edited:
No they dont. Cherry are neocadinas they cant breed with crystals or any cardina. Neocardins prefer hard water and temperature to be tad warmer then cardina. Cardina prefers soft water and lower temperature. They are also more fragile then neocardinas. High nitrates, ammonia, will kill them. From what I read cardina not for beginners but if you research them it can be done....just note they aren't as cheap as neo. I also read if you keep both groups together you should do the water should be for the cardina preference. Real plants are amazing. Shrimp will graze off of them. The easiest plants to keep alive are java moss and java fern, anubias. Floating plants are also great.. most people don't like duck weed but from what I saw on YouTube shrimp apprentely love it. I have frog bit too (another floater.) Floaters help with nitrates which I have a issue with.i also have driftwood I bought from pet store. It can help soften the water and again another food source. It creates biofilm. Which shrimp loves. I also feed a little bug bites pellets. Just enough that they can eat within a hour.im not an expert at this but I been reading up on them.
Sounds like you are learning the "trade" :good:

Red cherry shrimps can be kept in soft water with no problem. I have soft water and mine thrive. Since I haven't kept any other Neocaridinas I can speak for them.

Trying to. I also learned that in pet store regular people like red and white crystals which is low grade... in shows they prefer more "white" than colour.... and also the white has to be solid too. Still trying to figure out what a king kong is and are my new black ones are..... I dont think they are pandas.... but unsure. Breeder has pandas, shadow pandas and king kings all together so they are random picked.

Trying to. I also learned that in pet store regular people like red and white crystals which is low grade... in shows they prefer more "white" than colour.... and also the white has to be solid too. Still trying to figure out what a king kong is and are my new black ones are..... I dont think they are pandas.... but unsure. Breeder has pandas, shadow pandas and king kings all together so they are random picked.
Well you are ahead of me when it comes to shrimp. I just have ghost shrimp in my 30 gallon shrimp and plant tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back