Killing a guppy humanely...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
You can look into my other post here about why I want to do this. He is not swimming, is ALWAYS on the top of the tank, gills and mouth always open, not eating, and the others seem fine. He's been like this for two days. I think he is going to starve himself if this continues for a few more days. So, I think that he won't be able to be happy anymore, as he does not swim, does not eat, and is always alone in the corner. I want to know how to kill a guppy humanely. I heard that if you get a cup of cold water, put it in the freezer until it gets that thin layer of ice on top, break the ice, and put the guppy in, the guppy will be stunned and go to sleep. Is that humane? If not, any other ways? I need a reply right away, cause I think he is suffering.

Clove oil is missing (pure eugenol) from the article. There is lot of studies about eugenol in fish an(a)esthesia. Clove oil is cheap and natural product. It is forbidden in usa. If you live somewhere else, you'll find in from health food store or something like that...

Dentists also use eugenol in local an(a)esthesia.

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~jpirhon/clove%20oil.htm

sorry to hear about your guppy. it's always hard to say goodbye to your fish. :-(

Well, he passed away BEFORE I could humanely kill him. When I woke up this morning, I found him dead. And I don't even know why he got like this. And when I found him dead, he was sticking to the filter intake tube, mouth wide open, a frozen facial expression of horror. :crazy: You should have seen it...it looked just horrible. I used a chopstick to get him off of the filter, chills going through me. Luckily, he wasn't rotting yet. So he must have died just an hour or so before I woke up. If he would have rotted, that would have been a HUGE problem. Well, that makes only two guppies and two cories now...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back