Killifish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fisherizer

Reaction score
I have a spare tank and i was wondering where could i find 6 Lyretail Killifish eggs?

eBay, AC (aquatic classifieds), BKA (British killi association), AKA (American killi association), aqua bid. Are just a few.

Why would you want just 6 eggs? You need to hope that they are all fertile, you don't loose any whilst rearing and there is no guarantee that you will have a pair at the end of it due to skews in sex ratios.
Killifish breeders usually sell by the dozen or more. The problem is that it is a bit late in the season to be sending eggs/fish via post albeit with heatpacks, many breeders will just decline due to costs etc.
Try this chap from Germany on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Killifish-20-eggs-Ap...1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards
BigC

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also the possiblity of all hatching.......

It's easier to only have a few and get not as many as you want, then buy some more, than getting lot's and having to rehome them, IME.

As it's easier to obtain the eggs than the fish, the eggs can be shipped easier, the adults may be quite old already. Just a few reasons.

As it's easier to obtain the eggs than the fish, the eggs can be shipped easier, the adults may be quite old already. Just a few reasons.

I've bought both eggs and young adults (at different times) and can honestly say if you get the chance to buy a pair rather then eggs its far better. Only 2 of the eggs hatched (out of around 20) and I lost those - had them in a breeding trap for a few days and it slipped down one night ... oops :S
I now have two different types of killi (in seperate tanks), and they are a fab fish - plenty of colour and character!! There are more and more appearing on ebay - not just eggs but pairs too! Keep a look out - its alot easier to post live fish then you think, how do you think they get to england in the first place? I've posted fish myself on a next day service and never had any casulties at all. - it might be worth looking at becoming a BKA member - I think its something like £17 for a year and you get access to the events and auctions they hold. I'm not a member but I'm sure someone on here is.... they can tell you better then me!
Best of luck!
Marie

Personally I'd try to find a pair. I've never purchased eggs from someone and would probably feel uneasy because if you breed the fish yourself and have the eggs you know that you've taken care of them and made sure they are tip top shape if you were going to send them to someone but another person might just be in it for the money and may put fungused eggs in with your batch just to give you the amount of eggs you requested. Still you can try getting eggs because they arent too terribly expensive if you are to lose most if not all of your eggs which IMO is unlikely. Good Luck with hatching out eggs, or finding a pair. Killies are great, you'll enjoy them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back