Killifish ! Killifish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
look at the pictures. Check out the AKA website. And then put on your sunglasses and look at the fish themselves. Are there any other Killifish nuts on this forum? The forums for Killies is old and gathering cobwebs. What up homies?

My Aphyosemion gardneri project will be commencing shortly. My check is in the mail to the AKA and the gardneri should be here by mid September. Supposedly they are a mature pair so I hope to have fry within three months. I will be keeping a running account of their progress right here. Standby. Same Bat time, same Bat channel.

A mature pr of fish should produce eggs straight away.

Have you got their tank set up?
Find out what the pH and GH of the tank is that they currently live in and get your water the same so there is less transfer stress.

Have you got Java Moss for them to breed in?

Are you preparing food for them and the babies?
The following link has info on culturing food for baby fish.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

A mature pr of fish should produce eggs straight away.

Have you got their tank set up?
Find out what the pH and GH of the tank is that they currently live in and get your water the same so there is less transfer stress.

Have you got Java Moss for them to breed in?

Are you preparing food for them and the babies?
The following link has info on culturing food for baby fish.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/
Thank you for that link to the live food information. That is valuable info. And , yes , the tank is being set up this week. I hadn't even considered Java Moss. That is an excellent suggestion.

At Colin's suggestion I obtained some Java Moss. Unable to find at my LFS so I turned to the inter web thingy. Lo and behold I stumble across aquariumplants.com . The shipping was not overly high and this stuff comes from Florida so you know it's the real deal. Interestingly, the website stated that theirs was the genuine Java Moss and also was a true aquatic. So apparently there are hucksters out there who don't really know what they are selling. Either that or I am just gullible enough to believe everything a merchant says. I can see from the picture of said Java Moss why Colin advised this for my Killifish spawning project. It looks like a hairball / dust bunny of fine thready tendrils. Standby for further updates on Project Gardneri and a tip of the hat to Colin.

Project Gardneri is days away from commencing. Good things come in threes right ? Today Exotic Pets called and my tank I ordered has arrived. Today my Java Moss and Hornwort I ordered arrived and today I got an e-mail from the American Killifish Association confirming that they have received my membership application and have processed it. My Aphyosemion gardneri will ship out next week. Am I lucky or what ?

This is all so exciting! I can’t wait to see it all. Nothing better than setting up a new tank. Please post pics as everything arrives and comes together. I’m excited and it’s not even more me. :)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The supplies, the Java Moss, ( as recommended by Colin) and the hornwort. Awaiting fish. Gotta get busy now. Let the games begin !

I'm also following along! I really like killifish, I have clown killi and think they're so cute!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

image.jpg

I went with black sand. I suppose that this is technically not real sand but extra fine decorative aquarium gravel. It looks great contrasted with the driftwood and when I add the plants Tuesday it will look better. The sand is about one inch deep. Gotta look up my city water analysis. Temperature is 76 degrees. I really had fun today.

Billings Montana city water.
pH 7.6
Sp. Conductance ( umhos) 192
Calcium (mg/l) as Ca 16.4
Total hardness (mg/l) as CaC03 57.1
Nitrate 0.07
Does this make sense to you Colin? It's all Greek to me,

All but one makes sense to me :)

Total hardness is GH. 57.1 mg/l is the same as 57.1 ppm, which converts to 3.2 dH. It is very soft.
Your calcium is the actual level of calcium, rather than hardness measured as if it were calcium (UK water companies often use the unit mg/l calcium for GH, but it is not the same as the actual level of calcium as given in the water quality report)
pH is obvious.
Nitrate is very low, so low it will test as zero with our kits.

I have no idea what sp conductance is ????

All but one makes sense to me :)

Total hardness is GH. 57.1 mg/l is the same as 57.1 ppm, which converts to 3.2 dH. It is very soft.
Your calcium is the actual level of calcium, rather than hardness measured as if it were calcium (UK water companies often use the unit mg/l calcium for GH, but it is not the same as the actual level of calcium as given in the water quality report)
pH is obvious.
Nitrate is very low, so low it will test as zero with our kits.

I have no idea what sp conductance is ????
Thank you. That helps a lot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back