Killi Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Htw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi. Ive got killi fry in a large plastic container, having upgraded from a small one. I've read up on raising fry but the information is often conflicting.

The guy I got the eggs from said they don't like clean water.
Some say just do water changes [ cycled/fresh treated/rain?]
Others say use an air pump with gentle bubbles [all the ones I can find blast it out]
Or is it better to put them in a tank with a fry proof filter?

They will soon be ready for something more than they are in. I do have a tank for them but I need to know what is the best for them.

Thanks

Sorry, seem to have posted twice

Umm... In the book by Ed Warner it says that the number one killer of fry is polluted water because of the harmful bacteria so what he says to do is when the fry are younger like you've described to get another container of the same size and every day or every other day to get freshwater and add the right amount of salt and get it to the right temp. and then transfer all of the fry to the new container. Also I have to ask, Whats the size of the container(gallonage), how much salt do you have in there with them, and what are you feeding them? Oh and what species fry do you have? It doesnt matter as far as all of the stuff above I'm just curious. Good luck and I'll continue to help you as you need help.

Hi,
First off what species are we dealing with here?
Basically depending on the size of the fry.
I use glass tanks/troughs 24"x12"x2" for fry rearing for their first 3-4 weeks (depending on species, annuals like nothobranchius would spend 2 weeks max in these). Then a normal 12"x8"x8" tank will do. No substrate and fitted with a small heater and an airdriven sponge filter. Regulate the flow of air with gang-valves. Try to keep the tank as clean as possible at all times and replace the water as necessary. Do a waterchange every 3-4 days with fry with whatever water makeup you are using for the adults. Fry should be fed 3-4 times daily (adopt a feeding regime of little and often)
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back