Killer fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bosslady

Reaction score
I started my 65gallon about 3 months ago. I had 5 glow fish, two angelfish, 3 german blue rams, two gouramis, and 3 Cory cats. My first black veil tail angelfish was bullied and died. I thought it was the gouramis so I got rid of them. I replaced the veiltail with another one and this time I saw with my own eyes the blue glow fish attacked my angelfish. So now I’m thinking it wasn’t the dwarf gouramis bullying the first angelfish. This fish bit off the whole tail of my angelfish and this is what happened to the first one. For some strange reason though the glowfish did not messed with the only angelfish. I am saddened by this. I feel like I failed my fish because I am supposed to protect them. I read so many forums and goggled to make sure angelfish and glow fish tetras were compatible. Where did I go wrong? The tank is heavily planted with plenty of caves. Also do fish know when other fish are hurt? The silver and black angelfish stuck by the black ones side and tried to encourage her to eat. It was so sad.

What species are the glofish? The original ones were zebra danios but there are more species available now. If you don't know what they are, could you post a photo so we can ID them, please. Some of the fin nipping tetras have been 'gofished' and if yours are one of these, they will attack fish with long fins.

Knowing which species you have is probably the key to the problem.

They are tetras and they will be finding a new home today. I am so mad I can’t even concentrate at work

All the fish are juveniles, they are a little bit bigger then a dime maybe the size of a nickel. I searched long and hard before I put any fish in my tank. The glow fish tetras were the first I got. Why is it just the black angelfish they keep attacking

You have learned the hard way what many of us similarly learned. You had/have the wrong mix of fish in that they are not compatible. Advice from fish stores is unfortunately usually very inaccurate and misleading. So, before buying any fish, always research the species.

To work together in a community of more than one species, the fish must have thee same requirements when it comes to water parameters (GH and pH and temperature), the same requirement in aquascaping (substrate, wood, rock, plants may all be part of this), the same requirements with respect to filter current, the correct number if it is a shoaling species, and the correct inherent temperament to match the other fish. Research and experience teach us, and this forum is a great tool in that approach.

Angelfish and gourami are best not combined as they as so much alike in temperament--males are territorial, the degree depending upon the species and the individual fish.

Angelfish are shoaling fish requiring a group of at least five to avoid internal aggression related to their territoriality and temperament. Two fish usually will not last long before one is dead, unless they are a pair (male/female) that have accepted each other and bonded. I can explain this more if asked.

Rams have the same issues as the angelfish, so here again a bonded pair or a small group (space can make this impossible though) or a solitary ram.

Tetras are shoaling fish that need a group, usually six or seven is suggested as minimum but more will always improve things for the fish, and some need more to begin with. When this is denied them, because they "expect" it and it is programmed into their DNA, they frequently turn aggressive out of sheer frustration. Having long-fin fish or sedate fish--the angelfish and gourami and ram all fit this--in the tank is just asking for trouble from these fish. Matching suitable small shoaling fish with angelfish, gourami or rams takes some effort. The advice you got elsewhere was inaccurate.

Just to be certain, if you could post the fish you are keeping after the others are removed (if you do that as mentioned previously), along with your water parameters (GH and pH especially), we can undoubtedly find suitable fish to consider.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back