Kilifish eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

connorlindeman

Addicted to aquatic plants
5x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i could get some clown kilifish eggs for a good price? Since I can't find them at any of my lfs' I would feel safer getting eggs online rather then live fish.

I got some on fleabay. They arrived in a squashed packet with little water left in it, and no sign of the eggs except for small dried dots on the envelope.
I got more when I explained but they didn't survive my wife. She knocked the dish over they were being kept in until hatching.
I prefer live every time. I fact I just had another live delivery yesterday of Santa Maria Endlers.
The postal price is steep but with things like endlers, shrimp etc, they soon multiply and you can make your money back quite easily.

I got some on fleabay. They arrived in a squashed packet with little water left in it, and no sign of the eggs except for small dried dots on the envelope.
I got more when I explained but they didn't survive my wife. She knocked the dish over they were being kept in until hatching.
I prefer live every time. I fact I just had another live delivery yesterday of Santa Maria Endlers.
The postal price is steep but with things like endlers, shrimp etc, they soon multiply and you can make your money back quite easily.
My only concern is them not surviving the shipment. Most places wont even refund you the shipping cost for DOA's. In some cases that could be upwards of $50!

Why not get the actual fish? I don't recommend buying killifish eggs for a number of reasons. The first reason is that you may get nothing but dirt. Even if the seller states that there is 30-50 eggs, there's no guarantee that you're getting 30-50 eggs. You may get 1-10 eggs surviving or none at all. The second reason is that you might get a skewed sex ratio, meaning you may get more males than females or more females than males. That would be a problem if you're interested in breeding. Lastly, are you prepared to feed the fry after they hatch? Without the necessary food to feed newly hatched fry, it would be a waste. By getting the actual fish, they are bound to breed for you and you will get fry. The good thing about clown killifish is that the parents don't predate on their offspring, but the early generation of fry will predate on the next fry generation.

If you want clown killfish eggs, have you check the AKA site? There might be seller that might sell them to you.

Last edited:
Why not get the actual fish? I don't recommend buying killifish eggs for a number of reasons. The first reason is that you may get nothing but dirt. Even if the seller states that there is 30-50 eggs, there's no guarantee that you're getting 30-50 eggs. You may get 1-10 eggs surviving or none at all. The second reason is that you might get a skewed sex ratio, meaning you may get more males than females or more females than males. That would be a problem if you're interested in breeding. Lastly, are you prepared to feed the fry after they hatch? Without the necessary food to feed newly hatched fry, it would be a waste. By getting the actual fish, they are bound to breed for you and you will get fry. The good thing about clown killifish is that the parents don't predate on their offspring, but the early generation of fry will predate on the next fry generation.

If you want clown killfish eggs, have you check the AKA site? There might be seller that might sell them to you.
Useful information. I did find the live fish on acua huna for a decent price. I might just get them from there.

Clowns have a shorter incubation than most, so people are leery of sending them by mail. If the mail is delayed, the breeder is the one who gets called names. It isn't usually worth it for common species of killie.

The less common ones tend to be attractive to people who have been to the dance before, and know what can go wrong.

A word of advice - importations to the US need a permit, and the permit is expensive. You can import almost anything, but you have to have the paper work, and if you don't, you get fined, heavily. Your best bet is to find the closest killiefish affiliate club (aka.org) and check on their sites. Out of borders and the mailing software makes it a waste of time to send to the US.

Clowns have a shorter incubation than most, so people are leery of sending them by mail. If the mail is delayed, the breeder is the one who gets called names. It isn't usually worth it for common species of killie.

The less common ones tend to be attractive to people who have been to the dance before, and know what can go wrong.

A word of advice - importations to the US need a permit, and the permit is expensive. You can import almost anything, but you have to have the paper work, and if you don't, you get fined, heavily. Your best bet is to find the closest killiefish affiliate club (aka.org) and check on their sites. Out of borders and the mailing software makes it a waste of time to send to the US.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back