Kh Too High.. ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

archamfr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
yeh, ive done my first test on the water and basiclty most things are fine except my KH is way off the chart..
but i dotn know what to do about it. it says what to do if its too low bbut..

any help ?? -_-

hi im new :hyper:

The best thing to do is to get fish that will love your water just as it is, there are some fantastically coloured African Cichlids that will thank you for bringing them home, or have a look at some hard-water loving Central American Cichlids too. What is the pH like? Also the GH if you know it, then you can work out how acidic your water is any how stable it will be if you intend on altering the pH.

my ph is about 7.5.. not asure on GH ill get back to you on that 1.

also ive got a 3 foot tank, juwel filter. and atm ive got a male betta, sum neons and a pair of guppies... will the KH damage/ kill them :/

yeh, ive done my first test on the water and basiclty most things are fine except my KH is way off the chart..
but i dotn know what to do about it. it says what to do if its too low bbut..

any help ?? -_-

hi im new :hyper:

I would not let the Kh bother you, unless you intend keeping discus who require low Kh. Amonia and nitrite are the most important when first cycling a tank

Same here buddy. High KH pH and GH. It is ok for your fish that you have. One a good note, this high KH means that if you were ever to inject CO2 into your tank for plants then the pH wouldnt madly swing and the pH would stabilise quite well.

KH is your carbonate hardness it tells you the buffering capacity and how stable your ph will be.
This has no affect on your fish.

my ph is about 7.5.. not asure on GH ill get back to you on that 1.

also ive got a 3 foot tank, juwel filter. and atm ive got a male betta, sum neons and a pair of guppies... will the KH damage/ kill them

I have PH of 7.6 all of your fish will be fine with your PH levels. PH swings is what stresses your fish??

I suggest you do further research about water parameters in aquariums, this will give a better understanding of what your tests are telling you, and where you need to take action.

I would not let the Kh bother you, unless you intend keeping discus who require low Kh.[quote/]

Flat out not true. As kiwi noted above, kh has no direct effect on fish. It is intertwined with pH however. Basically, the higher the kh, the harder it is to change the pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back