Kh question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Galvin88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys
The KH of my water is 2 degrees and was told by my LFS that its too soft, so they sold me aquadur to raise the KH to around 5 degrees.
So during my water changes I use 25ltr containers and added half a scoop of aquadur per container so it was easy to work out.
Now I have purchased a python water changer and I'm not sure how to work out how much aquadur to add. Do I dose for the full tank or do I need to work out how much I'm water I'm removing and dose to that amount.
My Tank is a 237 ltr (62 us gallons) and is in the process of a fish in cycle.

What sort of fish do you keep?
If you have soft water fishes and the pH is stable, don't touch the KH.

If the pH drops between water changes, add a couple of small pieces of limestone, sand stone, shells or dead coral rubble. Monitor the pH over a couple of weeks and if it still drops, add a bit more. Continue adding limestone until the pH stabilises.

At the moment I just have 12 tiger barbs, will be adding a red tail black shark once
The cycle is complete. Not sure what I'm adding yet after that.

Be worth having dedicated KH, PH and GH test kits so you know where you're upto come water change. Might not be the same for every week's water change. If you've fed slightly more/less from one week to another, then there could be more/less Nitrogen (nitric acid) that has depleted the KH more/less

I have
Be worth having dedicated KH, PH and GH test kits so you know where you're upto come water change. Might not be the same for every week's water change. If you've fed slightly more/less from one week to another, then there could be more/less Nitrogen (nitric acid) that has depleted the KH more/less
I have a KH AND PH test il buy a GH aswell so I can check them all

You don't need to buy a GH and KH test kit unless you want to. The GH and KH in your water supply doesn't normally change so you can get it tested at a pet shop a couple of times a year and that is normally all that is required.

The pH should be checked regularly and a basic pH test kit comprising of Bromothymol Blue, a plastic test tube and a pH indicator chart is all you need.

Just a note the KH test mainly measures carbonate salts in the water such as sodium/potassium bicarbonate or calcium/magnesium carbonate. Generally the GH test is more important than the KH test.

THe GH test only detects the presence of calcium and magnesium. Calcium and magnesium are important for plant and fish health For fish found in naturally soft water streams and rivers 1 to 3 degrees GH ishould be fine. for hard water fish you probably would want a higher number.

It is possible to have hard or soft water with a zero KH. However many people just assume KH only detects calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate. But sometimes the KH reading is from sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. IF your water only has sodium/postassium bicarbonate fish and plants could suffer.

Also many people say it is important to have a stable KH because if you have a low KH your PH may not be stable. However some tank have a stable PH even with low KH. Limesone and sea shells in an aquarium can help stabilize PH at about 7in fresh water tanks. In my RO tank the KH is always zero. Without a sea shell the PH will drop to about 6 But with a sea shell in the filter the PH is always 7.in my tank

The GH and KH in your water supply doesn't normally change so you can get it tested at a pet shop a couple of times a year and that is normally all that is required.
Yes in many places KH and GH don't change much throughout the yes. But in some places that is not the case. In my location in California during the winter much of our drinking water comes fro rain fead Reservoirs But there is not enough water in those lakes to last the entire year. During the dry summer months the utility starts to mix in well water and RO water into the system. During droughts it can be mostly well and RO water and depending on were you live it could be all well water while a place only few miles away will be mostly reservoirs water. So in some cases the GH and KH may change more often. and sometimes drastically. which may require more frequent testing.

No fish require an amount of KH. Its GH and PH they have requirements for.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back