Keyhole Cichlids issue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

David Middleton

Reaction score
As you can see my fish have some sort of white spots on their bodies. (NO other tankmates affected)

Neither fish exhibits any flicking or discomfort.
They are fed top quality flake food combined with pellets and frozen food.
The tank is filtered by a JBL Cristal profor 900 series external filter. Tank temperature is 25C.
Water is circa PH 6.5, Ammonia .20 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrate 30 ppm.
Tank is 200 liters. I change 20 liters 3 times a week and double that once a week.
Tank mates are 3 Clown loaches which I have had for more than 3 years, I Plec of same age, 3 Cory Julii (same age) and 8 Cardinals.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to the forum, beautiful Keyholes really sorry they are ill. It's a new disease to me but I agree with Ichthys, spots are too big for Ich/white spot.

Just wondering why you have .20ppm of ammonia in the tank with so many water changes? Also doing 4 water changes a week seems quite excessive, is there a reason for this?

Welcome to the forum, beautiful Keyholes really sorry they are ill. It's a new disease to me but I agree with Ichthys, spots are too big for Ich/white spot.

Just wondering why you have .20ppm of ammonia in the tank with so many water changes? Also doing 4 water changes a week seems quite excessive, is there a reason for this?
Cannot fully explain why there is a usual .2 ppm of ammonia. A far as water changes I have been doing similar for a long time with no ill effects. I do not like to see fish droppings on the sandy substrate and I hoover that up at same time. That said, if I am away on holiday for 2 weeks there also seems no issues.

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia? Having that low level for a long time would definitely stress a fish to let disease in.

Have you added any other fish or plants etc recently? Last month or so?

excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

do bigger water changes and gravel clean the substrate any day you do a water change. make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You do a 10% water change and are leaving behind 90% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 25% water change you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Try to get your nitrates down. Check the tap water for nitrates. Cichlids don't like high nitrates (anything above 20ppm can be bad for them).

--------------------

Filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish.

do bigger water changes and gravel clean the substrate any day you do a water change. make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You do a 10% water change and are leaving behind 90% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 25% water change you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Try to get your nitrates down. Check the tap water for nitrates. Cichlids don't like high nitrates (anything above 20ppm can be bad for them).

--------------------

Filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.
Thank you.

Have you checked your tap water for ammonia? Having that low level for a long time would definitely stress a fish to let disease in.

Have you added any other fish or plants etc recently? Last month or so?
No new plants or fish recently. Nearly all my fish have grown since they were small till now (3 years)

Most reactions

trending

Back