Ben

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Common name -Keyhole Cichlid

Scientific name - Cleithracara maronii

Family - Cichlidae.

Origin - South American areas, Orinoco delta in Venezuela

Max size - 5" in captivity

Care - This dwarf acara is genrelly peacful with all fish, and good for communitys.They're very shy so should have lots of cover,rocks and plants, in the tank. The absalute minimum tank size for this fish is 20 gals. no less then that. They prefer a temp of 80°F and a ph of 7.5. as i said before they are peaceful with other fish and adding a school of tetras is knowen to make the fish less shy towards tankmates.

Feeding - as these fish are omnivores and will eat almost all frozen food and will also eat pellets and tropical fish flakes.

Sexing - Males are larger and their dorsal fin is more pointed. Mature females are plumper than males.

Breeding - Despite their genrelly peaceful nature, Keyholes can become quite terriotrialat breeding time. Eggs are layed on pre-cleaned stones(flat and rounded). The parents will guard the fry and the eggs.

DSCF0084.jpg

I've found that the "distinct breeding marking" which are beautifully illustrated in snowyangels picture are shown when the fish is being aggressive/territorial. My male keyhole shows these markings at every feeding time, and did so even before we introduced a female to the tank.

Maybe they're mostly shown at breeding time since keyholes are so very rarely aggressive!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back