Keyhole Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bennett

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have three of them and they're very very cool fish.

the largest seems to be able to change how much black mottling is on his body/"face"....is this normal or do i have some sort of magical fish?

i realise this could possibly be the stupidest question ever known on this forum BUT it's just odd that within a few minutes he can go from very dark faced to alot sandier coloured and no signs of the mottling.

cheers!
andy

My keyholes do the same thing.. their ''key-hole'' (black spot) can change from just being a defined spot to a big mess of dark brown... They're wicked fish for sure!

As said, this is very normal behaviour. However, if he spends more time dark and mottled than his lighter colour, he is obviously a very stressed little fish...

They are incredibly timid and shy little things. Do ther other 2 seem to spend more time together apart from this one that keeps going dark?

well the biggie just hides until it's feeding time (he's always done it), and the other two just bob about by the plants

he does spend most of his time light though

My keyholes are everything but shy.. they're always roaming around the tank in the open.. the only time I find them changing colors really is when the light comes on, but most fish are quite dull at night... they are really cool fish though for sure.

i have three of them and they're very very cool fish.

the largest seems to be able to change how much black mottling is on his body/"face"....is this normal or do i have some sort of magical fish?

i realise this could possibly be the stupidest question ever known on this forum BUT it's just odd that within a few minutes he can go from very dark faced to alot sandier coloured and no signs of the mottling.

cheers!
andy

My microgeophagus altispinosa (bolivian ram) do the same thing.

When they are sleeping they look like someone beat the heck out of them, but other times they are almost totally washed out and opaque/yellow.

mine are not shy atall

i have 3 of them are they schooling fish???

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back