Kenyi Cichlid didn’t eat today and is doing this

FrezhFinz

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon tank with a few tetras and two cichlids with one pleco the cichlids are Chindongo demasoni or Kenyi one of them when I got home from work is laying down at the bottom my KH=80
Gh=120 PH=7.5 Nitrite=3 Nitrate= 20
I did a water change of 75% after I tested the water and he is still laying down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 20
The cichlid on the left in the picture is a lombardoi (kennyi). The fish on the right looks like a demasoni.

Both need water with a GH around 300ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0. Unfortunately this won't work for tetras.

The lombardoi will also kill tetras and most other fish when it matures. It looks like a female so should be less of an issue compared to a male but they are extremely aggressive when mature.

------------------
The demasoni could be getting bullied or have an illness. It looks ok physically but need a video to see how it is breathing. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you film the fish with a mobile phone, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen. Take about 1 minute of footage and post some pictures of the entire tank. The cichlids need lots of hiding places.

Is the fish eating?
What does its poop look like?

Nitrite needs to be 0, do large water changes (temperature matched and dechlorinated) until it is 0.

Test every day to ensure ammonia and nitrite are zero, do a large water change any day that they are above zero. It may take a number of weeks until the tank has cycled.

Reduce feeding and add floating plants to help keep nitrite from rising quickly.

The cichlid on the left in the picture is a lombardoi (kennyi). The fish on the right looks like a demasoni.

Both need water with a GH around 300ppm and a pH around 7.6-8.0. Unfortunately this won't work for tetras.

The lombardoi will also kill tetras and most other fish when it matures. It looks like a female so should be less of an issue compared to a male but they are extremely aggressive when mature.

------------------
The demasoni could be getting bullied or have an illness. It looks ok physically but need a video to see how it is breathing. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you film the fish with a mobile phone, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen. Take about 1 minute of footage and post some pictures of the entire tank. The cichlids need lots of hiding places.

Is the fish eating?
So I did a few water changes and he started moving around the next morning and started eating again but now what has happened is I noticed this on him I can’t tell what it can be I am running into a lot of issues it seems.

So I did a few water changes and he started moving around the next morning and started eating again but now what has happened is I noticed this on him I can’t tell what it can be I am running into a lot of issues it seems.

Attachments

• 386FCBC6-D882-4B33-9E0B-CCF64A4D1CEB.jpeg
    386FCBC6-D882-4B33-9E0B-CCF64A4D1CEB.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 25

------------------

Is the fish eating?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 20
The nitrate is from the nitrite, but the nitrite is way too high.

Nitrate test kits read nitrite as nitrate and give you a false reading if there is nitrite in the water.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back