Keeping Stem Plants In Place

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thisguyek

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bought a few anacharis plants a month or so ago and I've had a small problem keeping some of them in the substrate. I'm sure it's either my pleco or gouramis swimming past them and uprooting them. I've been pushing my index finger all the way to the bottom creating a nice hole and then sticking the plant in, pushing gravel against it.

just wondering what everyone else out there does to keep their stem plants 'platned'.

That's basically what I do. I regularly pull it out and trim it down as well, and just replant it. I have sand, but it isn't much different for me. I just bend the very bottom of the stem over my finger and push it into the sand. Eventually some "roots" form and anchor it. But, I pull it up all the time when vaccing during water change. It just fits up the tube so nicely.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will grow even if it just floats on the top of the tank.

If it is a HUGE problem for you, just leave the bit of lead around the bottom and even if it gets "uprooted" it will stay on the substrate.

I actually went out and bought some of those pieces of lead weight to anchor my plants. Wrap it around the end and stick it in the substrate then pile some small stones around it (if you have sand).

I bought a few anacharis plants a month or so ago and I've had a small problem keeping some of them in the substrate. I'm sure it's either my pleco or gouramis swimming past them and uprooting them. I've been pushing my index finger all the way to the bottom creating a nice hole and then sticking the plant in, pushing gravel against it.

just wondering what everyone else out there does to keep their stem plants 'platned'.

I strategically place a few rocks around the base, making sure to not cover the top of the root ball. After a couple of weeks, the rootlets take hold and you can move the rocks out.

That's basically what I do. I regularly pull it out and trim it down as well, and just replant it. I have sand, but it isn't much different for me. I just bend the very bottom of the stem over my finger and push it into the sand. Eventually some "roots" form and anchor it. But, I pull it up all the time when vaccing during water change. It just fits up the tube so nicely.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It will grow even if it just floats on the top of the tank.

If it is a HUGE problem for you, just leave the bit of lead around the bottom and even if it gets "uprooted" it will stay on the substrate.

I thought u shouldn't leave metals in your tank especially lead or am I thinkin of copper?

The reason you don't want metals in the tank is because they can corrode and add nasties to the water. Lead doesn't corrode.

so basically the bases dont form into roots, they just stay as a single stem? If thats the case, then i guess ill just replant whenever they get uprooted. I was just wondering if it would get better or not. Not really a big issue.

Actually they do form roots eventually.

I have noticed on a couple that there is some sort of root growing up along the stem. pulled one up yester day and it had a nice long root with it. Sooo... eventually they should be rooted strong enough to where i dont really have to worry about it?

Yup!
good.gif

this is why i never by stem cuttings, they dont stay planted more than 5 minutes in my tank thanks to my plecs and hopolos. i have to buy plants with decent enough root balls already.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back