Keeping Plants Alive

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jmain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have heard from multiple people some think plants are easy to keep alive and some think its hard whats your opinion and why? I'm just curious if I really want to put live plants in my tank or leave them fake.

Here is what my tank looks like let me know if you think it needs live or keep the fake and just add more.

l_4211eb02703b46e38a12547ccca88ce3.jpg

Thanks

easy peasy. you just need to get the correct balance within your tank and choose suitable plants. Put an anubias sp in your tank and i am betting it will survive. Put HC in your tank and it wont last a week.
Try these:

anubias
vallisneria
java moss
moss ball
cryptocoryne sp
hygrophillia polysperma
egeria densa (pond weed)
Duckweed
java fern

what size tank?
What lighting have you got? Wattage & diameter (T5/ T8 etc)

thanks

easy peasy. you just need to get the correct balance within your tank and choose suitable plants. Put an anubias sp in your tank and i am betting it will survive. Put HC in your tank and it wont last a week.
Try these:

anubias
vallisneria
java moss
moss ball
cryptocoryne sp
hygrophillia polysperma
egeria densa (pond weed)
Duckweed
java fern

what size tank?
What lighting have you got? Wattage & diameter (T5/ T8 etc)

thanks

It's a 75 us gallon tank. My lighting I'm not sure on with wattage and diameter but I have 1 blue bulb and 1 white if that matters at all

The blue bulb isn't going to be helping you really. Best swap it for another white bulb.

The blue bulb isn't going to be helping you really. Best swap it for another white bulb.

I thought it helps with fish color

Then again fish don't need certain lighting to stay alive (unlike the plants) :lol:

You've got a LOT of room for a planted tank! I'd totally go for it!

I'd also add Cabomba to the list aaronnorth listed. Hygrophllia is a great and quick growing and decent sized plant. If you do switch to real plants it'd be neat to add a little driftwood to the tank. You can grow different mosses on it and it looks great.

I thought it helps with fish color

Then again fish don't need certain lighting to stay alive (unlike the plants) :lol:

You've got a LOT of room for a planted tank! I'd totally go for it!

I'd also add Cabomba to the list aaronnorth listed. Hygrophllia is a great and quick growing and decent sized plant. If you do switch to real plants it'd be neat to add a little driftwood to the tank. You can grow different mosses on it and it looks great.

If I were to put plants in the back couldn't I just get a light just for them (or will they be effected by my other lights also?)

Thanks

If I were to put plants in the back couldn't I just get a light just for them (or will they be effected by my other lights also?)

Thanks

That would work fine. I don't believe that you lighting system will hurt the plants at all, as long as you add the correct correct light (probably t5 in your case) to the tank your plants will remain healthy. Its not lighting that can kill them, its the absence of the lighting they need that kill them.

Thanks

That would work fine. I don't believe that you lighting system will hurt the plants at all, as long as you add the correct correct light (probably t5 in your case) to the tank your plants will remain healthy. Its not lighting that can kill them, its the absence of the lighting they need that kill them.

Whats the difference between the white light that I have on the right and a t5 light?

Whats the difference between the white light that I have on the right and a t5 light?

T5 lights have the best output and wavelength for a plant. The white light you have may or may not be good enough for the plant. 10000k is the best output for plant lighting (so I've been told). Wattage is the brightness of the light. Can't tell you much about that though :lol: !

T5 lights have the best output and wavelength for a plant. The white light you have may or may not be good enough for the plant. 10000k is the best output for plant lighting (so I've been told). Wattage is the brightness of the light. Can't tell you much about that though :lol: !

The place I volunteer gave me some extra plants they have (forgot the name) but its floating plant (I know mostly used to help hide the fry and that type of stuff but still figured a clump of that wouldn't hurt) I really just want to see if it effects my water test any.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back