Keeping Plants Alive And Healthy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

XPANDA

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i have a bit of a problem trying to keep my plants alive or looking healthy in my tank. I notice that a lot of you take great time and care over your plants and water condition, but unfortunately i rarely find time to be as precise! I do not know the types of plants i have, i just buy them from the LFS and put them in, after a while some of them (not all) seem to start looking weak, go very pale and whispy and start to fall apart!

this is my setup: 20 gallon tank, fluval 2 filter. 2 aqua glo lights giving 18000K each. 5 cardinal tetras, 3 endlers guppies, 2 baloon mollies, 1 german blue ram, 1 blue gourami, a gibbiceps plec and a bamboo shrimp. i have 2 moss balls also. Temp is 26 degrees celcuis, ammonia and nitrite is 0. nitrate is a little high at the moment but i think this is due to plants decomposing instead of using the nitrate to grow! I add 2 capfuls of nutrafin plant fertilizer every fortnight (only just started using this).

i have some little snails, could they be sucking life out of the plants?? or should i add more fertilizer? i just want some nice plants with a minimum of expense! please help! thanks.

dose your fertiliser more often at once a week, i used nutrafin plant gro and didn't get any noticable results but it kept them alive. It depends on species of snails but if they are small it is nothing to worry about, some plants need more light, co2, more or specific ferts. What wattage are your lights?

Some plants are grown emersed so give them time to adapt, i leave mine 2 month sometimes to make sure but if nothing happens then i chuck it.

my lights are 15 watt each. Im not too keen on a CO2 setup because its only a small tank and im trying to run it with minimum fuss! However, has anyone tried a DIY CO2 bottle using yeast and sugar?? i might try this!

Are you sure your bulbs are 18000K? This sounds more like marine than tropical lights.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back