Keeping Invertebrates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TheDarkGoby

Reaction score
Hi guys! I was wondering what kind of SW invertebrates would live in a SW tank that I plan to setup. I can't tell you the size of the tank, as I am searching craigslist for a good deal. I assume the tank will be between 30g (minimum) and, I'd say 90g (maximum...maybe). I plan on maybe a FOWLR tank, but who knows? Might get reef lighting with a craigslist tank. I guess I want reef-safe inverts?

It will be my first SW tank, but I have done lots of research and I think I pretty much have captured the concept of SW. I have somewhat of a stocking list that will very depending on what size tank I get. I will name the fish in order of importance;

1 Yellow Watchamn Goby (and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp Invert for pair)
1 Royal Gramma
2 'common' Clownfish
2 firefish gobies
1 Black Clown Goby

and I think that is it.

I think I can take care of the shrimp, but if y'all can give me some advice on that, or on pairing the shrimp with the YWG I'd be really appreciative!

As far as other inverts, I have NO IDEA! I read an article on starfish, and I really like the brittle starfish (I've seen them also called 'serpent starfish'?). I was just wondering if something like that would work with the setup. Is there any kind of prepared foods they like to eat? I like prepared foods, don't like foods I have to replace weekly. Same goes for all inverts.

Next, I love those little sea-snails! I know that isn't really descriptive, and that there are probably tons of species. Are there any that anyone would recommend to a...beginner?

And urchins, I don't think I will be getting anemones or anything like that. Are there any urchins that would be safe for the other inverts/fish? The Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp should build a little underground cave thingy, would the urchin roll in there and injure the pair? Would it hurt the starfish, or snails? I just have to at least research the invert. :rolleyes:

Any other invert y'all'd recommend? Right now I guess I am talking only about inverts that move (not like anemones), but y'all can recommend 'still' inverts, I just might not be able to support those if I don't get good lighting (I wont get it if I can't support it).

Sorry, usually I sound more intelligent, but I am really tredding new territory right now. Saltwater inverts is a whole new world!

Thanks guys!

I guess I want reef-safe inverts?

Indeed you do

1 Yellow Watchamn Goby (and a Tiger Pistol Shrimp Invert for pair) Great 1 Royal Gramma prone to aggressiveness, add last2 'common' Clownfish
2 firefish gobies I'm afraid only one per tank unless you are lucky enough to find a pair
1 Black Clown Goby - very cute

However, you dont really have anything there that swims around the tank, they are all quite sedentary

I think I can take care of the shrimp, but if y'all can give me some advice on that, or on pairing the shrimp with the YWG I'd be really appreciative!

I would buy an established pair, cost a bit more but worth it

As far as other inverts, I have NO IDEA! I read an article on starfish, and I really like the brittle starfish (I've seen them also called 'serpent starfish'?).

Really depends on the size of the tank, so lets wait and see :good: but they are good members of the cuc

Next, I love those little sea-snails!

Different snails do different jobs, so it is wise to get a selection, algae eaters - turbos, sand sifting, Nass vibex or Dove and the list can go on and on..........but if you go for the larget tank get a conch :good:

And urchins, I don't think I will be getting anemones or anything like that. Are there any urchins that would be safe for the other inverts/fish? The Yellow Watchman Goby and Tiger Pistol Shrimp should build a little underground cave thingy, would the urchin roll in there and injure the pair? Would it hurt the starfish, or snails? I just have to at least research the invert. :rolleyes:

Again, really depends on the size of tank, but for smaller tank there is nothing better than the tuxedo and to be honest a couple in a big tank is :good: stay away from black spiny urchins. The tuxedo urchins feel like velcro if you pick one up or acidently rub against it, which is a bonus, not painful prickle!!

Any other invert y'all'd recommend? Right now I guess I am talking only about inverts that move (not like anemones)

Anemones are animals :good:

Sorry, usually I sound more intelligent, but I am really tredding new territory right now. Saltwater inverts is a whole new world!

Only stupid or uninteligent question is the one not asked - :hi: aboard

I kinda quoted your stuff out of order. Oops.

Again, really depends on the size of tank, but for smaller tank there is nothing better than the tuxedo and to be honest a couple in a big tank is stay away from black spiny urchins. The tuxedo urchins feel like velcro if you pick one up or acidently rub against it, which is a bonus, not painful prickle!!

I like tuxedo urchins. How do you feed them?

Anemones are animals

I know anemones are animals. They can move by themselves if they aren't fed or the water quality is bad, right?

I would buy an established pair, cost a bit more but worth it

I wonder where I can find an established pair of YWG & TPS...?

I'm afraid only one per tank unless you are lucky enough to find a pair

1 firefish? I thought someone (not on this forum) said they had to be kept in pairs? That is a relief, because I didn't even want to get 2!

prone to aggressiveness, add last

Everyone says that Royal Gramma are aggressive, but the experts and the people who own them say that they pretend to be aggressive, but are actually chickens. Still, I will add them last, unless you think the clowns will claim too much.

However, you dont really have anything there that swims around the tank, they are all quite sedentary

What do you recommend? I am still flexible in my stock planning.

Really depends on the size of the tank, so lets wait and see but they are good members of the cuc

Ok then, you name the mimimum size for the starfish, and that will be the smallest size I would even consider.

I think that is everything.

Thanks!

What about sea-cutcumbers (forgive my spelling)? Do they move around by themselves? Are they easy to keep and feed? Are they eaten by other fish I plan to get, or will they hurt other fish I plan to get?

Oh, i'm a numpty - I didnt see the 2 x clowns :good: so yes, they will be the centre fish of your tank.

Well, the brittle stars can be kept in a fairly smallish tank but something like a sandsifting star should not be kept in anything less than five foot.

The tuxedo, is part of the cuc and will eat algae and a small amount of coraline

Seffie x

So the urchin would starve without a fair amount of algae?

What about Yellowhead Jawfish? Are those good fish?

So the urchin would starve without a fair amount of algae?

What about Yellowhead Jawfish? Are those good fish?

Jawfish are great fish but require a little more care, they need a sand bed of atleast 4in deep, preferably 6in.

The urchin should be fine, you'll be suprised how much algae grows in a tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back