Keeping Cory species together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jordanwri16

Reaction score
Hi, I've currently got a 10 gallon and will be upgrading to a 35 gallon in a couple months.
I've currently got 4 false julli corys.
I was wondering when I upgrade to 35 gallon, how many corys can I have? and can I mix species? I like the look of either panda or bandit. I was also looking at getting a blue gaint african fan shrimp or would be too much?
Any advise would be appreciated!

Last edited:
you have to get 6 of either species
as long as the bottom surface area is enough you MIGHT be able to pull off 12.
i have 2 bamboo shrimp and i think that you could as long as your filter is good

Hey, thank for replying, so do you have 12 corys and 2 bamboo shrimp? What size tank do you have? I was going to see about getting another 2 false jullis to make a 6 then get 6 of another species like panda possibly, I'd really like an giant african fan shrimp, i had one in my 10 gallon when i first set it up as i was told by the fish store he would be okay for a few years as he was just a baby but i wasnt experienced enough and lost him after a few months. I just wanna do my research this time and do it right, I just don't wanna overload the tank. And the tank I want comes with an internal filter but I would look to upgrade to a 307 fluval external filter as they are bigger and I know people that have them and have really good reviews 😊

When it comes to behavior when different cory species are kept together, there shouldn't be any problems. But they cold crossbreed. While in some way when both sexes of the same cory species are present besides other cory species in there, over here they've only reproduced with their own strain thusfar.

There's one thing I found interesting in my 120 when I used to have several different species, with 8 of each. During the day, they would swim in larger groups, but at night, they would separate off into their species to sleep. I had one orphaned fish, the only survivor of a shipment. I'd brought him home to try to identify him, and he lived a long life in that tank. But when the lights dimmed, the poor guy wasn't welcome in any of the defensive groups the others slept in. He always sat alone.

During the day, they would swim in larger groups, but at night, they would separate off into their species to sleep
Now you've pointed that out, over here as well...

Hey, thank for replying, so do you have 12 corys and 2 bamboo shrimp? What size tank do you have? I was going to see about getting another 2 false jullis to make a 6 then get 6 of another species like panda possibly, I'd really like an giant african fan shrimp, i had one in my 10 gallon when i first set it up as i was told by the fish store he would be okay for a few years as he was just a baby but i wasnt experienced enough and lost him after a few months. I just wanna do my research this time and do it right, I just don't wanna overload the tank. And the tank I want comes with an internal filter but I would look to upgrade to a 307 fluval external filter as they are bigger and I know people that have them and have really good reviews 😊
i have around 8-9 of green cories and a lone spotted cory(all the other spotted cories i add in die within 2 months)
75gallon
first run the cycle for a longer amount of time because in my opinion cories like very stable water and so do shrimp

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back