Keeping Adult Severums Together

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

New Boy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In a 2 metre (600 litre tank) tank would it work to have a group of severums to spread out aggression (in the same way as you do with africans)? Maybe 6 or 7 with a load of congo tetra and rainbows as dithers...? Particularly interested if it would work when they are adults....currently have two males who are about a year old and were best mates but starting to get territorial with each other and am trying to work out if long term I have to settle on just one of them and get a female friend...

It comes down to the fish. They are all different. Some can live with others and then you might get one that hates all fish. It depends on the personality.

You could keep the 2 you have and add a few different types of cichlds to the mix.

ime sev's are ok in a group... still bicker, but thats cichlids

I have 2 males in a 400l tank with other cichlids, they tend to stay either end of the tank away from each other, I have had the occasional swimming in circles around each other but its usually broken up by the rtbs. I am quite suprised at the shark because any displaying starts with the cichlids and he is straight in there and breaks it up?

thanks, may add 3 or 4 girlies to spread it about a bit.....presume golds, reds, greens and rotkeils will all pair up with each other? Not planning on raising fry

4 I would say would be a maximum amount of Severums in a 600L tank, your best chance of it working is if you add them young, you could end up with a pair (any colour combination of severums will cross bred) and then you may have aggression problems as the pair protect eggs/fry, so as with all cichlid species be prepared to be able to move fish about.

The more territory areas in the tank the better. Generally speaking Severums are relatively placid cichlids for their size, but as with all large cichlids, you will get some that dont know this rule applies to them :rolleyes:

Dither fish will be very useful as they will help take the Severums mind off each other, rainbowfish are excellent dithers (I have them), I would be wary of congo's just because they can be skittish (IME) however, they are perfectly suitable to live with severums.

Larger sized corydoras (as an example) are also fine with severums :good:

thanks. One more quesiton though - 4 severums plus another type of large cichlid or 4 large cichlids in total? sorry, used to africans and cramming them in to avoid aggression but obviously don't want to over cram with new world cichlids.

4 severums, you might get away with something else, like acaras, geo species, unlike Africans, you dont overcrowd with SA/CA cichlids, the more space they have to themselves the better.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back