Keeping A Big Fish In A Small Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

blackers92

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know how this sounds.. but is it possible to put a juvenile fish (Oscar)

in a 37 Gallon tank, and then upgrade the tank as it grows larger?

I was just wondering, because I like them as fish but cannot justify to my parents the need to purchase such a large tank 75 Gallons + for such a small fish (obviously it will grow).

I have read that they grow up to 8 inches in one year, so I could probably upgrade to a 75 Gallon by December this year. I understand the issue of stunted fish.

At the end of the day I am just wondering if it is possible, otherwise I will wait until I can purchase a larger tank.

In order to do it and space out the growth to last until December you'd have to get a very small one, about 2", and over filter the tank too. Keep water quality immaculate and it will grow fast, fast enough for your parents to see the justification of the 75g tank needed asap!

or your parents could just flatly refuse to let you have a tank that big?

Ash

I doubt that they would ask me to get rid of it once it had started to grow, my dad doesn't seem to be all that interested by them (fish) but my mum gets quite obsessed.

with enough pestering im sure they will let my buy one, or i'll just come home with one either way I will win lol

I guess Ill just wait then

Also something else to consider is that a 75 gallon will only be big enough for an adult oscar on its own with NO OTHER tankmates, the tank would also need filtration rated for a 150 gallon tank.

Oscars grow pretty fast so unless its absolutely guaranteed that you could get the large tank then I'd say definately no because if you had to rehome the fish then you are putting unneccesary stress on it aqain.

Andy

I got mine as a 1" baby in January and he is now at least 5" and very deep bodied with a huge gob. As you can see they grow very quickly, and will require a large tank with heavy duty filtration. Please don't get one unless you are sure your parents will let you have a bigger tank, as a stunted fish is just awful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back