Keeping a betta fish with shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bluebird42

Reaction score
I have successfully been able to keep a betta with snails, is it possible to keep a betta with shrimp? I know shrimp are part of a betta's diet but maybe if there were enough hiding spaces?

Over the past few days several people have told me not to keep shrimp and Bettas together, but I have successfully kept Bettas with Ghost Shrimp in 3 tanks now without incident. Ghost shrimp are often sold as feeders, and it's very common to lose several over the first few days after taking them home. I think Bettas' reputation precedes them, meaning they get blamed for shrimp death when all they did was nibble on an already dead shrimp corpse. Other shrimp not sold as feeders, like cherry shrimp for example, may be more hardy and likely to survive. What kind of shrimp are you thinking of? Ghost shrimp, like I have, can grow up to 2 inches long, but others, like cherry shrimp, can be much smaller.

Last edited:
It depends on the Betta and the shrimp. Some Bettas will live with shrimp and some eat them. The bigger species of shrimp are less likely to be attacked compared to smaller shrimp, but some Betta don't care how big it is and will try anyway.

And if the Betta is well fed, he will be less inclined to look at shrimp as food.

----------------------
Ghost shrimp are fragile, often sold as feeders, and it's very common to lose several over the first few days in a new tank.
If you are losing glass/ ghost shrimp then either the shrimp are unwell and stressed due to being kept in overcrowded conditions at the shop (in their live food tanks). Or the shrimp are in brackish water and your tank is fresh. But healthy glass shrimp in an established tank are very tough and do better than any other shrimp I have kept.

I stand corrected, yes, ghost shrimp are hardy. But at the pet store, they are sold as feeders, so they are kept in poor, overcrowded conditions. I have purchased ghost shrimp several times and never had a 100% survival rate. As a rule, I always buy more than I want, and expect some to die. I've actually had one die before I reached the checkout line before.

I have edited my post. I should not have called them fragile. They're only fragile when they come from pet store conditions.

Some Bettas are fine with adult shrimp others are not, but all baby shrimp are on the menu,

If you have a heavily planted tank it may work. Add lots of java moss and the shrimp may possibly live.

I have a lot of java moss and a whole bundle of fake plants for everyone to hide in :D I would love to get a ghost shrimp or two. Is it ok to just keep two or so? Though I don't know if my tank has too much for there to be space for them...

Just some food for thought bluebird42, speaking from experience here... if you do plan on keeping ghost shrimp, make sure their water is very well oxygenated. If you use a sponge filter you may be fine, but if not then I highly recommend you get an air stone set up in the tank. Without proper oxygenation, you can expect a very high shrimp mortality rate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back