Keeping 1 plattyfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Platty97

Reaction score
Hi,
I previously had 4 platyfish but I am now down to one. I have scoured the internet and there seems to be some conflicting advice about having just one platty, some saying itā€™s fine and some saying they need other fish. I know they arenā€™t schooling fish but are social. She seems to be okay, making full use of the tank, a swimming and eating fine etc. Iā€™ve had some problems with bullying in the past and so I would hate to get her some friends for it to end up being a bad decision but I do feel guilty because Iā€™m not sure if she is happy all alone. She seems to be braver now that sheā€™s on her own but she sometimes glass surfs up and down and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a sign of stress because sheā€™s lonely? There are no issues with the water parameters, I test regularly, and the tank is well maintained.

anyways... does anyone have any thoughts on if I am I being cruel just keeping one Platty or is it okay? What would you do?
Thank you!!!

In general, a platy by itself will be fine.

Hi,
I previously had 4 platyfish but I am now down to one. I have scoured the internet and there seems to be some conflicting advice about having just one platty, some saying itā€™s fine and some saying they need other fish. I know they arenā€™t schooling fish but are social. She seems to be okay, making full use of the tank, a swimming and eating fine etc. Iā€™ve had some problems with bullying in the past and so I would hate to get her some friends for it to end up being a bad decision but I do feel guilty because Iā€™m not sure if she is happy all alone. She seems to be braver now that sheā€™s on her own but she sometimes glass surfs up and down and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a sign of stress because sheā€™s lonely? There are no issues with the water parameters, I test regularly, and the tank is well maintained.

anyways... does anyone have any thoughts on if I am I being cruel just keeping one Platty or is it okay? What would you do?
Thank you!!!

She'll be okay, just make sure there are some decor pieces for her to look at and interact with.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back