Keep Finding Dead Fish

a cycled tank should have some nitrate, did they use a liquid test kit?

Just to confirm Phoenix, the end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrate so there really should be some there. What did they use to test with and did they do it in front of you?

yes it was a liquid test kit and it was done infront of me. her exact words were 'your tank water is perfect'

Just to confirm Phoenix, the end product of the nitrogen cycle is nitrate so there really should be some there. What did they use to test with and did they do it in front of you?

err yeah, isnt that exactly what i just said :rolleyes:

Your best bet is to ask them to actual write the results down for you until you can afford to get your own test kit :)

Phoenix, I think alistairw was just backing you up :)

err yeah, isnt that exactly what i just said :rolleyes:

Ha ha, I havent written that very well!! I meant I was confirming what you said.....in that I agreed with you!!! :good:

Your best bet is to ask them to actual write the results down for you until you can afford to get your own test kit :)

Thanks Flute, your on my wavelength!!! :good:

hi, without sounding rude, if you actually read what i put, i did say that the second pet store told me the numbers and i wrote them down. the first did not only becoz it wasnt me that went to get my water tested i had a family do it for me as i was at work at the time.

ive had my water tested by another pet store and they said that the ammonia was 0, the nitrate was 0 and the nitrite was 0.
so their not quite sure either.

Tbh, I haven't seen the words "written down" in any of your posts!

Anyway, back to your water..... It is strange that you have no nitrate in your water as the 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite suggests they are being processed. The process produces nitrate which you get rid of in your weekly water changes. If the ammonia isn't being processed then you wouldn't get nitrite or nitrate, but evidence of ammonia, say 5 ppm. So you can see why we are questioning your results. Is it possible you or the lfs wrote them down incorrectly (perhaps 10ppm nitrate)?

This is why it's important to have your own test kit as you don't have to rely on lfs. In my experience (and a lot of other members) lfs offer extremely bad advice and are only interested in taking your money. I suspect this is why they have said you have perfect water so you will buy some more fish to replace the ones that have died. Is there no way you can borrow £20 off parents, friends, to buy a kit?

Flute wasn't being rude, she was just going off what was written in your post. If I have misread your posts, I apologise. We are all here trying to help you, after all this is what the community is about, so please don't take offence if we keep repeat or question answers you give us. There are some very experienced (a great deal more than me) people on here and with your answers can help! Remember, we are all sat on computers, possibly half way around the world and can only base our answers on what you give us.

Is there any chance you can pop down the shop and get them to test your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and water hardness?

Good luck!

hi, without sounding rude, if you actually read what i put, i did say that the second pet store told me the numbers and i wrote them down. the first did not only becoz it wasnt me that went to get my water tested i had a family do it for me as i was at work at the time.

To be honest with you I was actually trying to back you up about not having a test kit, in that it is doable to certain extent as long as you ask them to write down the results. I missed your post where you mentioned what the actual results were. I never meant to come across as rude (hence the smiley), rather just trying to give a little bit of support to you :)

How are things today? Really hope it's all starting to calm down for you :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back