Juwel Vision 180 Restoration & Budget build

maliceh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the forum but not to the hobby, this is my first aquarium in several years though. I wanted to work on a tight budget and also have a project to work on, so I've just purchased a very cheap 2nd hand (probably more like 3rd/4th hand) which is in terrible condition. I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

The glass is very badly scratched, the trim on the bottom of the aquarium needs to be repaired, the light unit is broken.

I have attempted to polish the glass with a home made mixture of baking soda, coconut oil and water. While this did make a huge improvement and removed a lot of the very fine scratches there is still a significant amount of scratching visible when under light. I will also be wrapping the wood and veneers in gloss white, replacing the standard hood and (broken) lighting with a Perspex condensation cover/jump cover then a luminaire style LED light above it.

It will eventually be housing a Tanganyika cichlid community!

Attachments

• 20201115_172114.jpg
    20201115_172114.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-20201114-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20201114-WA0007.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 61
wow, what a project! will be interested to follow along as you progress through this! I am also very very slowly working on setting up a 125 gallon and watching my budget. I picked up a tank, stand and whatever came with it last Friday, and now have to find time to deal with those and get to the next steps! it is certainly a labor of love haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back