Juwel Rio 240 . Removing The Wood Effect Surrounds

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Now all I need to work out is how to remove the braces hahaha plenty of time yet :)

Thats probably the more tricky part.

If it was me, i'd probably use a stanley blade and cut throught the silicone thats holding the brace being careful not to scratch the glass and hopefully there is no glue or anything as well, and see if you can slowly get movement and ease your way through the silicone while gently rocking the brace.

Easier said than done really! 

Do let us know how you get on and post some pics too 
smile.png

This actually tha pints thread ive just hijacked haha will let you know though thanks for the suggestion I think its probably my best bet whoever done it has made a right pigs ear of it but I got it with the cabinet for £100 cheap as chips for a 400ltr ;)

Oh, thats a good price for a 400 litre tank! Lucky devil! lol 
devil.gif

BTW sorry tha pint for jumping into this thread the same silicone applies to you as well if you did not know that already. 
happy.png

Good luck to all! 

It was only advertised at £150 but I fluttered my lashes and he was a big softy really and I came away a very happy little lady haha

meandmykribs said:
It was only advertised at £150 but I fluttered my lashes and he was a big softy really and I came away a very happy little lady haha

rofl.gif

just a wee update on whats goin on atm. The day after i posted this i thought i would contact juwel and see if they could offer up any help. started by explaining the story and this is the replies
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Lee
Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry to say it is not possible to get the top frame off the aquarium without possibly damaging/breaking the glass.
Yours
 Gordon Alexander.
---------------------------------------------
Hi Gordon . Maybe I'm just being over cautious and maybe I just never noticed it before. The inside of the seal looks perfect but it looks like the back pane has moved out a wee bit at the top.maybe it was always like this?
Does the frame support the glass enough to stop that separating and blowing out?
--------------------------------------------------
Hi Lee

Thank you for your reply. The brace bar across the middle of the top frame is designed to hold the shape of the aquarium.

Regards

Gordon

Yeah I know and ive just got a new brace to you reckon this is safe?
----------------------------------------------
Hi Lee

Without seeing the aquarium I couldn`t say. If you like to send pictures of the issue I may be able to help further.

Regards Gordon
------------------------------------------------------
so i sent him a few photos and this reply

It feels pretty solid and it feels like theres no movement. That's why I think it might have always been like that. The inside of the seal doesn't look stretched
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lee

Thank you for the pictures. We have looked at them and it appears that there is no issue as the top frame will prevent any movement and it is within the tolerance range for the aquarium.

Regards

Gordon
------------------------------------------

Soooo as a precaution ive added silicone to the offending corner but due to finances being tight ive yet to test the tank as i want to replace the to cabinet panel  before  giving it a weeks water test. If what juwel say is true i hope to not have any problem.

My sons 60 lt tank cracked at the front and it had frames on the top and bottom so i decided to strip it and remove the broken pane. 
I had been reading online how to go about doing this and this is the way i done it just incase anyone want to have a crack themselves.

Before i start , the tank im doing this on was 2ft long and not as big as the rio 240 i was intending to do. Therefor it would of took twice as long.
FRAMING
Take a long stanley blade and run it between the glass and the bottom of the frame. I noticed that it only has a few blobs here and there to cut through but make sure you have cut along all 4 sides. For me i was able to basically evenly rip it off slowly being sure not to crack or damage it . Top and bottom came of easier than i thought!

SEPARATING THE GLASS
Take a new Stanley blade and cut every single bit of silicone out of each corner.Lean the blade against the glass and run the blade from end to end and try not to saw at it as you don't get as clean a cut .You must take the silicone right back to where the glass meets as best as possible .This can be very sore on the fingers after a while but trust me , the better you remove the silicone the easier the next step is. Run your blade into the corners as best you can and also run the blade into the join on the outside as well.

For the next step i used fishing line and a hairdryer. Try to use fishing line that has a decent breaking strain as your gonna be using a bit of force but remember , you dont want it too thick as it has to cut between the 2 glass panels. Use the hairdryer and heat the corners up in sections so its still warm while your pulling  the line down through it .Heat softens the silicone ! Do this like a cheese wire action. The more you removed with the blade the less you have to slice though with the line. Come to think of it a cheese wire cutter might of been better as the glass keeps cutting the fishing line . 

So thats as far as ive got . should have taken pics but hopefully ive described it well enough.

when im putting this tank back together i'll take photos 

Sounds fab :)
I still have not started mine yet the hubby is after making a new full cabinet for it to sit into as opposed to sits onto

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back