juwel filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hehe, I just did a 30% wc (60ltrs) and left the external on - now I got bubbles bubbles bubbles, millions of the little blighters.

Bubblers help oxygen exchange by breaking the surface tension of the water. My guess would be that a lfs would find it cheaper to blow bubbles than to invest in the kind of filtration that would adequately stir the water. But that is only a guess. Another guess would be that some fish stores don't really know what they are doing, or are old school.

Ahhhhh....Old school...

That's me :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

I run nothing but sponge and inside old fashioned box filters...the kind you use filter floss with.

All filters are driven by a regenerative 1/3 hp blower. No external filters of any kind.

GL is right...it is more cost effective to run a multiple tank set up this way than to outfit each tank with seperate filters.

Guess you could say I produce a lot of "hot air" in my fishroom :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But my fish love it :D :D :D :p ;) ;)

Hi guys - now you've got me wondering. I have two 180 juwel tanks, one is a heavily planted community tank - no extra filtration, only what the tank come with, but I added a power head just under the surface to make more current. Plants and fish doing fine. The other tank is a cichlid tank, very few plants, lots of rocks. This one has a bubble wand (about 6") and one of the these "treasure chest" ornaments that gives out a huge air bubble every second or so. No extra filtration in this one either. Fish doing fine. I do 30% water changes every 7-10 days in both tanks. Should I add external filters?

So I just read this whole thread, and being new I have (yet another) question.

I have one filter that I know adequately breaks the waters surface, but I also have a large bubble wand in the back of the tank.

Now, my fish love playing in the bubbles every now and again (especially my sailfin pleco after he's finished stealing all the fish food from the surface of the water.) and Lord knows I think it's attractive, but it makes cleaning a pain because it continually stirs up debris if I move it (sometimes if I don't), and also causes any flakes I sprinkle in to immediately begin their arduous journey to the bottom of my tank.

I was told I needed this to keep my tank Ho2'ed out, is this untrue? I have two large plants and roughly six offshoots of those plants growing inside as well as a carbon filter (which says it's made for a 20-40gal, I have the 40) which does its share of splashing. Can I take out the bubbler and just continue on as normal? God I'd love that.

Hi spilk, and welcome to the forum. After reading this again I think it is much a case of personal taste. I have a small (10g) hex with bubbles - they are ok but prefer the tank without. As long as your water is good I think its up to you but as you said - some fish really like bubbles! . :/

Speaking of bubbles, any prob. w/a blanket of 'em on the surface of the water? I turned down the air flow yesterday (so it's only maybe a third now), but I imagine the UGF filter works better with stronger flow. I think my tank's fine w/the filtration it's got now (mech., too), but if I felt the need to bump it up in the future, would that be a problem, the surface covered w/bubbles, I mean?

The fish don't seem to hang out near the surface (knock on wd ;) ), 'cept for feeding, and the food seems to break the bubbles. They seem to shy away from them, but I wouldn't want them to eat a bubble, either.

How 'bout over-saturation? Heard somewhere it's hard to do. True?

Most reactions

Back