juwel filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fly258

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ive just set up a Juwel120 tank and have started a fishless cycle, but one thing bothers me about the tank, or to be more precise, the filter.
In the blurb that comes with it, it states that no extra aeriation is needed but I cant see how the filter is adding air / oxygen to the water. All it appears to do is suck in water through the filter and push it back into the tank. How does it aeriate the water?
Regards
Jim

hi fly, good q. I just got a Vision 180 and it says the same. It also says you can get an airator if you want - but not needed. I was kinda confused about the 'no bubbles' is ok too. I have added an external interpet prime 20 (700lts/hr) and am wondering about airstones etc - will watch the replies with interest :rolleyes:

I've got a fluval 3 I don't know if it is similar but what I found is.... The filter box had one with bubbles coming out of it! So what I did turned off the power, and submerged the filter underwater (saw big airbubbles coming out) turned it on and it worked a charm with bubbles!! yey!! Also the weird noise it was making stopped. I don't know why this affects it but it did for me, perhaps you should try it? Take care to turn the power off though :unsure:

wills , they are built in internal filters and underwater !

So a lorry-load of tortoises crashed into a train-load of terrapins, I
thought "That's a turtle disaster".
*coat on*

Ok well if its totally submerged already then I guess my advice won't help :lol:

The misconception that a filter or airstone adds oxygen to the water is an old one.

The truth of the matter is this;

The bubbles that an airstone make and the return flow of a filter simply do one thing...it breaks the waters surface thus allowing the exchange of harmful carbon dioxide (which is excreted through the fishes gills) and allows oxygen (or outside air if you will) to be drawn into the water.

While I know this explanation is pretty generic, it does explain the purpose of having a good current in the tank.

When your filter "pushes" the water back into the tank, in a sense it is putting oxygen into the water by breaking the waters surface as in the above explanation.

HTH

Ah, I think I understand :/ :/ :lol: I have a v good current in there, plants are swaying nicely) do I not need any bubbles to help?

My filter does not seem to be v. powerfull at all, I can just about see one plant moving, and it certainly isn't powwerfull enough to cause agitation on the surface. My small, hang on the side, filter in my other tank does a great job with a fair amount of agitation and lots of tiny air bubbles.
Regards
Jim

Juwel filters are designed for a planted tank where less flow is supposed to be desireable - better for the plants.

What you can do is angle the nozzel upwards creating more surface agitation and so increasing surface area - giving better gas exchange.

And also, though I don't know if it helps much, is buy the venturi kit for the juwel - couple of quid. To create more bubbles. I use one but have it turned down on low?

:)

I bow to the 'masters' superior kmowledge :p - thanks to you both :rolleyes:

Andi,

I have a Juwel Rio 400, i use the venturi kit with this and i turn this down low. It creates a lot of small bubbles which can be seen thoughout the tank. When i turn it up full then there is a mass of bubbles within the tank. So my advice is to buy a venturi kit (mine cost me £2.99) and adjust the flow rate until you are satisified that there is enough bubbles being distributed around the tank.

Gaza

Thanks for all the advice gents, I sussed it..............eventually. I removed the bung from the water outlet and stuck a length of pipe on the nozzle. Loads of bubbles and a noise like a wailing banshee. I then fitted a flow / noise control.....well its a mini G clamp really ;).
I bow to all the experts on this group about a aeriator not being necessary, but what puzzles me, is why most aquariums seem to have them, LFS's included.
Regards
Jim

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back