Juwel filter clean

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya... I gave my Juwel filter its first clean today.

I used the tank water to do this and cleaned each sponge using this.

Questions:
How often am I meant to clean out the filter sponges?
How often do I clean the filter itself? (I couldn't get inside it beyond pulling out the propellor thingy - is there another stage to this?)
Am I supposed to replace the top layer of white material? If so, how often?
Do I use tap water for any of the other filter layers or am I doing this correctly?

Thanks!

You can clean filters and parts in hot tap water (no soaps)...it's the filter media that you want to use old tank water to clean

I'm not familiar with this particular filter, so unsure about your other questions

Filter media being the sponges? I'm doing this correctly in that case. :)

On the filter itself, if anyone has a Juwel, I'd love an explanation of how to clean the thing (and how often).

Sponges, ceramics, "bio balls" are all considered media...it's the stuff INSIDE the filter, not the filter itself...this is where your BB colony will reside...after the tank is well matured, BB colonies will grow and live outside of the filter, as well

What is the model number of the filter?

Hiya... I gave my Juwel filter its first clean today.

I used the tank water to do this and cleaned each sponge using this.

Questions:
How often am I meant to clean out the filter sponges?
How often do I clean the filter itself? (I couldn't get inside it beyond pulling out the propellor thingy - is there another stage to this?)
Am I supposed to replace the top layer of white material? If so, how often?
Do I use tap water for any of the other filter layers or am I doing this correctly?

Thanks!
You can clean the filter sponges every week or two, I do mine at the weekly water change.
I clean the filter pump, with the little brush provided, every few months.
The white filter wool compacts/ tears/ loses shape so I replace it every 2-4 weeks.
Yes, use tank water for all the filter media, particularly in the first year whilst the tank is establishing.

The carbon pad is meant to be replaced every 4-6 weeks. I recommend replacing it with blue sponge which can be rinsed and reused indefinitely. Same with the green de-nitrifyer sponge. They are not necessary and carbon will remove plant fertiliser and medications.

Rather than buying more Juwel filter wool and blue filter pads get some sheets of similar products from Amazon for example, then cut the correct size squares. It lasts a long time and is A LOT cheaper than the Juwel stuff.

I saw Juwel sell a tool for cleaning out the bottom of the filter compartments so I tried it with an ordinary siphon which did the job just fine. All that was in there though was mulm so I won't bother again.

Yes, use tap water for all the filter media, particularly in the first year whilst the tank is establishing.
Did you mean to say 'tap' or did you mean 'tank'? If you meant tank, you may like to edit the last post ^

Actually, the bacteria colonizes the substrate as fast or maybe faster than the filter. Nor should it take a year for other microorganisms to colonize.

A filter's media should be cleaned when you notice the return flow from it has slowed. This means it is starting to clog.
There is a really good article on this here http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/aquarium-biofiltration/

I know Dr. Tanner who owns Swiss Tropicals. Over the years we have had some lively exchanges about the bacteria v.s. the arachaea for ammonia oxidizing. He is often in the vendor room for major weekend long fish events. He is much better educated on this stuff than I am. While he is a lifelong fish keeper, he is, by profession, a cancer researcher. I do not know how he does both things and has any time to sleep.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/about-us/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back