Juwel 190l Trigon - First Ever Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have just read that link myself and realise I got the tank size wrong :blush: So I have amended post #12 with the correct volumes. My apologies for the incorrect information.

Fancy goldfish need 100 litres/26 gallons for the first fish and 50 litres/13 gallons for each additional fish. So 3 fancy goldfish need 200 litres/53 gallons.

So it looks like I may be able to get hold of a 2nd hand Ciano Emotions Pro 80 which is a 142L aquarium with dimensions (LxWxH) : 81.2 x 40.2 x 56cm.

Will this be suitable for the tetras and to add the loaches? Will I be able to stock much more in there?

I'm afraid it's too small for the tetras and loaches - they need a tank at least 120 cm long. At 81 cm long, this tank is too short.

I'm afraid it's too small for the tetras and loaches - they need a tank at least 120 cm long. At 81 cm long, this tank is too short.
Thanks Essjay - looks like I will be taking the Tetras and Loach back to the fish store tomorrow then as I can't get a bigger tank right now.

Is there a section here that will tell me what I can stock in the Ciano 80 if I get it?

We don't have a section for working out stocking levels, just the experience of all our members. But many members do use the website aqadvisor. You need to bear in mind that no stocking calculator can cover every aspect, so use it in conjunction with Seriously Fish which will tell you the size tank they need; the water hardness, pH and temperature; suitable and unsuitable tank mates; and any quirks such as only eating a certain type of food.

If you take the tetras and loaches back, look round the shop to see what they stock, make a note of their names - the Latin name if they give it as many shops make up common names - then look them up on Seriously Fish and enter the fish on the shortlist into aqadvisor.

Thanks Essjay - been a huge help along with the other members.

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

I couldn’t get my hands on a big enough tank to regime the tetras so I spoke to the shop and they agreed to take them back and credit me.

I think I will grab some Java Ferns and pop them in the tank in their Potts to help with the water stability - is this right? Seems to be what I’ve found from my research?

Java ferns are grown attached to decor. They have rhizome, a thick horizontal stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots out of the other. This rhizome must be kept above the substrate or it will rot, and the easiest way to do this is to attach it to decor. It can be tied on with thread or glued on - the glue must be cyanoacrylate super glue and gel is easier to work with than liquid.

Java fern will help a bit but as it is a slow growing, low light plant it is not as effective as fast growing plants. Floating plants are best for water quality, but I'm sure I've read that goldfish are likely to eat them?

Yes I was thinking
Java ferns are grown attached to decor. They have rhizome, a thick horizontal stem like thing which has leaves growing out of one side and roots out of the other. This rhizome must be kept above the substrate or it will rot, and the easiest way to do this is to attach it to decor. It can be tied on with thread or glued on - the glue must be cyanoacrylate super glue and gel is easier to work with than liquid.

Java fern will help a bit but as it is a slow growing, low light plant it is not as effective as fast growing plants. Floating plants are best for water quality, but I'm sure I've read that goldfish are li
Yes I wanted to get the floating plants as I have issues with the light strength, however I also read they will get eaten.

Java seemed the most durable plant for beginners and as it's probably apparent I am very much a beginner :lol:

I bought the Ciano Naturist 80 and will be picking it up on Saturday so will have 2 - 4 weeks to cycle and decide how to stock so I hopefully don't any mistakes like this time!! Will start a new thread to get some ideas.

Since you already have a cycled tank, you can take a bit of media from the Trigon's filter to jump start the new tank. The main media in Juwel filters is sponge - I would use one of the coarse blue sponges and replace it with a new one, then cut up the old sponge to make it fit the new filter.

Played about a bit with the tank tonight and put an LED airstone in to oxygenate the water a bit more as I read that is good for goldfish, now I have this LED one, the filter and a rock air stone all agitating the surface so should be better for the guys.

I think it gives it a pretty cool when the light is off as well. Not the best photo to be honest :/

The motor for the air machine is actually pretty load though, is there a way to muffle? I tried putting a towel around it but it didn't work

Attachments

• IMG_8731.PNG
    IMG_8731.PNG
    200.2 KB · Views: 56
So with goldfish being on the messier side, would an external filter be a much needed addition or will the internal filter suffice?

If I add an external filter such as a sun sun 303B for up to 75 gallons would that work? Would I remove the internal or add the external alongside?

what are the main benefits of an external filter?

Most reactions

trending

Back