Just wondering...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kyshiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi! I'm just wondering, I was going to get a 25l tank, stuff it with plants, get a heater, then one male or female Betta. But. I want it in my bedroom. I like silence when I sleep. Would it be ok with the filter being on for half the day? I was also thinking of putting three Dwarf cories in there, but I think they definitely need a filter.

Of course I would cycle it and all that stuff before.
Thanks!

Ok, that's what I thought. Are there any fish that could have one half the day? Or any other aquatic animals?

For me it's more about overall tank health, things are going to run more smoothly and there will be a lesser risk in things going wrong if its just on all the time. Maybe don't have one in your room if you need silence?

Yeah, ok. That makes sense. I'm trying to find a place to put one in my house as my parents don't like them taking up space. They don't get it. Fish rule.

Also, what does OP mean? It just came up on my Profile picture.

The filter is or is not a necessity, it depends upon the aquascape. If you have one, it should run permanently. But having said that, you do not need one, given the situation here. Provided your plants are growing, and some are fast-growing species (floating particularly), there is no need for a filter given the single betta. The plants assimilate the ammonia, and there is no nitrite or nitrate from this. The nitrifying bacteria will be there, but in the background so to speak. Water movement is the only use for the filter in a planted tank, and given the betta this is not a requirement either. So, with fast-growing surface plants, and with just a single betta, this could/should work well.

I experimented with a 10g tank some years ago, having a heater but no filter and no light; it was placed in a west-facing window. There was a group of 11 Boraras and ten pygmy cories, and it ran for a year with no issues. The light was the only real problem, since using natural daylight is less controllable than an overhead light, and some algae on the back wall had to be tolerated. But the plants were thriving, as were the fish for all I could tell.

All species of Corydoras require a group or they will be stressed, leading to further problems. A group of 10+ is required, and there is no space for this in so small a tank. Plus, this is a real risk with a male betta, as these cories do like swimming to the surface and that is the betta's territory.

Just as an option that some here won't like... ;) You could get a bare tank and setup under gravel filtration driven by a Whisper 10. The Whisper 10 is a little overkill for a 25l tank as it is designed for 10 gallon but I like heavy filtration anyway. The 2 Whisper 20s I have driving my under gravel filtration run totally silent.

Yes, the bubbles make a slight noise but, with a hood on the tank I doubt that you would ever hear them. I sit right next to my tank and hear absolutely nothing. The Whisper 20s are the blue dome looking things to the left of the tank. Actually I need to move them to the bottom shelf of the table but, even where they are, I can't hear them.
IMG_2382.JPG

The filter should always run and it will run very quiet. You can't when hear mine except for the light trickle of water.

Power filters will be quieter than an air pump.
Internal power filters are usually a little quieter than external power filters.

Most people get use to having an aquarium in their room. It takes a couple of weeks but once you are use to it, it becomes white/ background noise. I used to wake up if there was a power failure because there was no noise from the fish tanks.

If you can go for a slightly bigger tank (20 gallon) it would hold more water and be less likely to have an issue if you go without a filter and use live plants as mentioned by Byron. A bigger tank will also give you more options later on if the Betta dies and you want something else.

African dwarf frogs could be no filter without a problem if it’s planted with regular water changes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back