Just thinking about it

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
See my new tank inhabitants. They're flying the Ukrainian flag.
This is my seawater and live rock.sand tank that I opened to get the beneficial bacteria load onto the rocks I collected. I went ahead and got the NT Lbs Marine Test kit and everything checks out fine. So I went ahead with buying the Yellow Tail Damselfish to see if they manage the setup, along with a couple of bits of coral.
When I get my 125ltr tank all put together they'll be added into that and I'll be happy with the rocks and sand etc that I have collected from the beach.

I have always loved the diversity with marine tanks. From the corals - crustaceans - fish etc. The coloration is superb and to be honest I think it's worth the extra effort and cost to set a tank up.

Last edited:
I'm still working on my 135ltr tank (I thought it was 125ltr) but in the meantime I cleaned out the small tank that housed my Blue Eye redfin rainbowfish and turned it into saltwater.

IMG20221005064445.jpg

I was totally peed off with the rainbowfish. They showed no interest in breeding, the plants got out of hand and because there was a large amount of lava rock substrate and stuff, the water never seemed very clear.
The actual initial construction of it looked really good and I know @AdoraBelle Dearheart was particulary impressed.
However it didn't pan out the way I wanted in the end.
So I moved over into marine with the tank and I am absolutely delighted with the overall look. The tank's a little (well, perhaps a lot) on the small size) for the inhabitants at present but they'll be going into the 135ltr tank eventually.

Thinking things out, all the information I bumped into about marine tanks being difficult sort of put me off giving it a go. However giving it a bit more thought, when I add all the things together about building and maintaining a tropical freshwater tank I am coming to the conclusion that marine might well be less problematic.
I guess time will tell. In the meantime look at these beauties. Where do you get colour like that in a freshwater tank?

I was very impressed with the construction of the tank before! But it's your tank, and sounds as though you weren't enjoying it, so it makes sense to tear it down and make something else!
Wait, wasn't that tank a five gallon?? Or am I mixing it up with another?

The fish do look beautiful, but also very cramped, like they're banging into the walls since they can't swim far before hitting a wall :(

The tank in that clip isn't the one you think it is @AdoraBelle Dearheart
It's a small tank by any standards at 21 ltrs. It's not their eventual home. I just got a few bits of rock to put them in there to condition to start saving them for the transfer to a bigger tank. That was done yesterday, moving them into the tank you were thinking of, although that's only another temporary rehoming.
That tank .... well I was really pleased with the scaping of it. It was really put together with the green neon tetras in mind, with a pair of scarlett badis among the roots.
The design played exactly as nature intended, ie the shy tetras were always in the rear of the tank with only an occasional sighting. The Badis was also always hiding in the wood base. The plants obscured too much of the tank too. Then cleaning around all the base when I could hardly get access was just too much. I could never clean under the wooden scape bits. Overall the tank became run down, looking dirty amnd dingey even though the water was regularly changed, and for what? A fish hideaway.
So a good clean later, and the Nemos and Ukraine fish have been moved over to it, awaiting the next upgrade to 135 ltr tank.

Fishkeeping is a learning experience. What might look nice at the start of a venture sometimes turns out to be disappointing. The tank was very well set up for the fish. Green Neon Tetras, and Scarlett Badis are known to be shy. I provided tham with a secure environment so was successful in that, but it's no good having beautiful fish that don't appear on stage, so to speak.

Here's the latest view after adding a couple more frags of coral.

The tank in that clip isn't the one you think it is @AdoraBelle Dearheart
It's a small tank by any standards at 21 ltrs. It's not their eventual home. I just got a few bits of rock to put them in there to condition to start saving them for the transfer to a bigger tank. That was done yesterday, moving them into the tank you were thinking of, although that's only another temporary rehoming.
That tank .... well I was really pleased with the scaping of it. It was really put together with the green neon tetras in mind, with a pair of scarlett badis among the roots.
The design played exactly as nature intended, ie the shy tetras were always in the rear of the tank with only an occasional sighting. The Badis was also always hiding in the wood base. The plants obscured too much of the tank too. Then cleaning around all the base when I could hardly get access was just too much. I could never clean under the wooden scape bits. Overall the tank became run down, looking dirty amnd dingey even though the water was regularly changed, and for what? A fish hideaway.
So a good clean later, and the Nemos and Ukraine fish have been moved over to it, awaiting the next upgrade to 135 ltr tank.

Fishkeeping is a learning experience. What might look nice at the start of a venture sometimes turns out to be disappointing. The tank was very well set up for the fish. Green Neon Tetras, and Scarlett Badis are known to be shy. I provided tham with a secure environment so was successful in that, but it's no good having beautiful fish that don't appear on stage, so to speak.

Here's the latest view after adding a couple more frags of coral.

21 L is 5.5 US gallons... :(

I don't know anything about marine tanks. But clownfish apparently need a minimum of 20g, with an additional gallon for a pair, so 30g minimum just for the clowns, before thinking of the other two(?) fish in there, I don't know what species those are. @Chad is the person to talk to about marine stuff, I don't know whether @Slaphppy7 or @Fishmanic know anyone else who knows marine stuff? Oh, @PheonixKingZ got into it too.

When do you plan to move them to a 135L tank? Even that is on the small side for a marine tank. But I really don't understand why you'd get fish like this and put them in a 5.5 US gallon tank. Why? Why not wait until you're prepared a properly sized home for them? I can't approve of this. It seems impulsive and cruel to get them when you're not ready for them, and to keep them in a tank that's really only suitable for shrimp or a betta.

21 L is 5.5 US gallons... :(

I don't know anything about marine tanks. But clownfish apparently need a minimum of 20g, with an additional gallon for a pair, so 30g minimum just for the clowns, before thinking of the other two(?) fish in there, I don't know what species those are. @Chad is the person to talk to about marine stuff, I don't know whether @Slaphppy7 or @Fishmanic know anyone else who knows marine stuff? Oh, @PheonixKingZ got into it too.

When do you plan to move them to a 135L tank? Even that is on the small side for a marine tank. But I really don't understand why you'd get fish like this and put them in a 5.5 US gallon tank. Why? Why not wait until you're prepared a properly sized home for them? I can't approve of this. It seems impulsive and cruel to get them when you're not ready for them, and to keep them in a tank that's really only suitable for shrimp or a betta.
Definitely should not be putting clowns in a 5.5g tank under any circumstances. You can keep a pair in a 15g tank, but that’s the absolute minimum, no other fish.

Also depends on what type of clownfish you’re getting. (Although I assume it will be ocellaris)

Definitely should not be putting clowns in a 5.5g tank under any circumstances. You can keep a pair in a 15g tank, but that’s the absolute minimum, no other fish.

Also depends on what type of clownfish you’re getting. (Although I assume it will be ocellaris)
You can see them, and the other two fish, in the video above. 21L/5.5 US gallons... :(

You can see them, and the other two fish, in the video above. 21L/5.5 US gallons... :(
Can’t view YouTube on my phone sadly, but I trust you. That is sad the OP is keeping them in a 5.5g tank, that is way too small for a pair.

Can’t view YouTube on my phone sadly, but I trust you. That is sad the OP is keeping them in a 5.5g tank, that is way too small for a pair.
There's the photo too
clownfivegallon.jpg

Two clowns, and two of the others, can see one there in front of the filter, blue with yellow tail, think OP called them Ukraine fish?

He called them Ukraine fish because their colour is the same as the Ukraine flag. He says earlier the other fish are yellow tail damselfish

There are two of each species in there.

He called them Ukraine fish because their colour is the same as the Ukraine flag. He says earlier the other fish are yellow tail damselfish

There are two of each species in there.
AND a damselfish? Ok, I didn’t realize he had one of those was well. Tank is WAY too small for all those fish. I wouldn’t even put all of those fish in a 29g. Even then it would be a stretch.

——
@Lynnzer, what are the parameters of the tank? Your Kenya tree and zoas aren’t looking too good.

This is why I suggest beginners get as big of a tank as they can afford/have space for when keeping saltwater. Parameters are a lot “easier” to keep consistent in larger volumes of water. It’s not like in freshwater where your plants may turn a little brown, no, all your coral will straight up die, that’s how fragile they are. And they are just soft coral, SPS and LPS are even harder to keep and require almost constant monitoring of levels in newer systems.

AND a damselfish? Ok, I didn’t realize he had one of those was well. Tank is WAY too small for all those fish. I wouldn’t even put all of those fish in a 29g. Even then it would be a stretch.

Not one of them. Two of them. Please read properly! I've said that twice. Two damselfish, two clowns, all in a 5.5g.

I wonder how Lynnzer made out with his saltwater tank adventure?

Trials and tribulations. Successes and inevitable cock-ups.
I'm just setting up a new D-D Reefer 900 pro right now so once i get things sorted I'll update.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back