Just tested my water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Zoe Horsfield

Reaction score
Hi guys just tested my fresh cold water aquarium which currently only has 1 goldfish in do you guys think these numbers are okay? 124E18ED-F884-4D8A-91F2-660419F7E759.jpeg5E2AACC6-BB94-4FA9-9C85-84F0BFAF6DDD.jpeg3949BE72-F2DC-4B68-A350-2A73B01DF904.jpeg82DE58A2-5AA1-4775-94DE-C3D51F706A59.jpeg732CFA0E-85FF-4534-9FA9-166D06BA4E10.jpeg

I also forgot to mention I did a 20% water change yesterday and cleaned my filter :)

The test is showing some nitrite (second colour Is pink) which harms fish. Do a big water change (50%+) each day until the colour looks white. Routine water changes also need to be 50%+.

Your water looks soft (GH) and acidic (pH) with no KH buffering. I think goldfish ideally need harder water than this, @Deanasue knows a lot about goldfish and may be able to advise you.

You also need to test for ammonia, which the strips don't do. You need to buy a separate ammonia tester. if nitrite is slightly raised, it is possible you also have ammonia in the water. The water changes that Naughts recommended will help with ammonia as well.

Thanks guys I will do that I think Iā€™ll buy one of the kits with the drops in as apparently they are more accurate do you know how I can harden my water? I just use regular tap water with tap safe in it?

I had the same problem with the KH. I was advised by someone working at my LFS to put cichlid rock into a media bag and put it into the filter. It seems to have worked because my KH levels have gone up. What size is your tank? You should use about 1/2 cup of cichlid rock for every 10 gallons.

Goldies do like harder water but they are pretty adaptable. @Naughts is correct about the eater changes. Do daily 75% until nitrites go down. Then, do 75% weekly.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with the KH. I was advised by someone working at my LFS to put cichlid rock into a media bag and put it into the filter. It seems to have worked because my KH levels have gone up. What size is your tank? You should use about 1/2 cup of cichlid rock for every 10 gallons.
Itā€™s 25L not sure what that is in gal, Iā€™ll try that thanks, I know this is small for a goldfish but Iā€™m looking for a 100L :)

Goldies do like harder water but they are pretty adaptable. @Naughts is correct about the eater changes. Do daily 75% until nitrites go down. Then, do 75% weekly.
Thank you will do do you think the fact that the tank is a little small is causing this? I am in the process of getting a bigger tank :)

25 litres = 6.6 gallons. Once you get the bigger tank, the small one is perfect for a betta........

My water here is zero GH/KH and the pH readily lowers below 7. I had goldfish in my outdoor pond (filled with this water, plus obviously rain water which is also very soft and acidic) for several years, and they spawned, and over-wintered (the surface froze but not the pond). I only lost them when a troop of racoon discovered them and were relentless night after night until they caught and ate all of them. But for the several years, the goldfish were doing very well in very soft water, so I wouldn't mess with the GH/KH. Just have a much larger tank, and do a weekly water change of 60-70% of the tank volume, vacuuming the gravel well and keep the filter well rinsed. Bee careful not to overfeed, fish do not need as much as some think and what goes in will come out and add to the waste.

My water here is zero GH/KH and the pH readily lowers below 7. I had goldfish in my outdoor pond (filled with this water, plus obviously rain water which is also very soft and acidic) for several years, and they spawned, and over-wintered (the surface froze but not the pond). I only lost them when a troop of racoon discovered them and were relentless night after night until they caught and ate all of them. But for the several years, the goldfish were doing very well in very soft water, so I wouldn't mess with the GH/KH. Just have a much larger tank, and do a weekly water change of 60-70% of the tank volume, vacuuming the gravel well and keep the filter well rinsed. Bee careful not to overfeed, fish do not need as much as some think and what goes in will come out and add to the waste.
Thank you I will do this, I think I may be over feeding him/her itā€™s a greedy little thing and never seems to be full so I feel bad and feed it some more maybe thatā€™s where Iā€™m going wrong :)

F0D88159-04E4-4829-BC6E-306F8C4C797E.jpeg 985B16F7-6FF0-4EDB-A320-7094B717FFF1.jpeg 38EC3ADA-88B9-4832-B1C4-25E72DCF690A.jpeg 4B1299CC-17E5-4562-8551-FBDD56863ADE.jpeg F2A49E2E-03CB-49E1-891F-FDF6B6C337D2.jpeg So just a little update on the water today Iā€™ve done a big water change around 80% maybe a little more, Iā€™ve tested the water again what do you guys think? does it look a little better? Iā€™ve also used those aqua balls

You're not 'going wrong', if you had high nitrate it might signal under-cleaning/ over-feeding but your nitrate looks under 20ppm which is where it should be.
The nitrite presence is a sign of an aquarium cycling which is when the beneficial bacteria develop.This is being monitored and water changed out.
If you increase your water changes and follow Byron's advise above you will maintain your water quality. This includes getting the 100 litre tank you are planning.
The pH, GH and KH are just what is in your tap and Deanasue and Byron have said goldfish do fine with this.
You are doing fine and you have a lovely fish! :):fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back