Just started the hobby

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LoliKami- Aaron

Reaction score
After a lot of research, I decided to join the hobby starting with a 10 gallon planted tank.
I have 10 yellow neocaridina shrimps, 2 yellow mystery snails, 6 Ember Tetras, and 4 Endler Guppies in there.
Experience on cycling the tank: Tetra SafeStart really works!
I was trying TopFin bacteria supplement and it was not good at all. Only did ammonia slowly and nitrite was high for a few days.
Decided to change all water and throw in the TSS and bang! ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20
(My tap water is ammonia infused somehow)
After the cycling, I put the livestock in and did not lose any.

And then I got interested in betta fish, so I started another 5 gallon planted nano for my bedroom.
TSS works wonder!
I now have a rose tail betta, 10 red neo shrimps, and 2 mystery snails.
I did some training to the betta to not be interested in the shrimps according to a guide I found on the internet.
Basically, I put the betta in first (acclaimed). Then, put the shrimp with a transparent bag or cup. (Bag first for temperature then drip acclamation then cup to float in the tank) My betta is now completely uninterested in the shrimps!

Overall, I really like the hobby. If I get more room in my house, I will definitely get more tanks haha!

BABS0689.jpg

FOUC8631.jpg

LVEB0551.jpg

Welcome to the forum :)

Your tanks look lovely, especially for a newbie, very well done!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

(My tap water is ammonia infused somehow)
You probably have chloramine in your water supply, which is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. The ammonia helps the chlorine remain active for longer. When you dechlorinate the water, you get rid of the chlorine and leave ammonia behind. That is usually picked up by the filters pretty quickly.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You probably have chloramine in your water supply, which is a mixture of chlorine and ammonia. The ammonia helps the chlorine remain active for longer. When you dechlorinate the water, you get rid of the chlorine and leave ammonia behind. That is usually picked up by the filters pretty quickly.
Ah, that's why then. I do have RO filter and shrimp salt so I'll probably stick to this most of the times haha.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back