just set up a new aquarium...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Keep us posted on your results! After just 11 hours I'd expect your ammonia to be barely detectable and the nitrite not there at all. Let us know if thats the case ;)

well took some readings earlier - both ammonia and nitrites still at zero

tazz

Ok well I would reckon my this evening/tommorow you should be getting some ammonia readings! You probably won't be getting nitrite though. Did you manage to add anything ie filtermedia/gravel to speed up the proccess or not, just so I can know how long this post is gonna go on for :)

heh nope... forgot to ask for it at the store... il get something on tuesday - when i have my day off from work
'
how much of what do i need? LOL... can i get a sample of water from an established tank and add it in?

tazz

Ok Tazz it probably won't make much difference now and it brings in the risk of disease so I wouldn't bother to even ask for any :)

It just means they cycle will take perhaps a week longer but you've already used up 3 of those days :thumbs:

Let us know what your test tonight is like!

took readings this morning

ammonia: 0.6
nitrite: 0.1
pH: 7.6
GH: 100ppm
KH: 80ppm

tazz

excellent your cycle is progressing nicely! You'll need to test daily for a few days because the nitrIte could spike nastily, however you're almost half way through so far! :thumbs:

heh good =) super pet have some really good deals id love to get in on, they only last 2 weeks though =

(3 silver mollies for $3.88 cdn)

tazz

Thursday 21 Nov

ammonia: 0.6 - 1.2 (color was kinda in between the 2 - not on any of them)

tazz

Well, I would have expected the ammonia to be 0, perhaps the cycle wasn't as far on as I initially anticipated, you should be able to get your mollies in the next two weeks if the cycle goes to plan :thumbs:

The fact the ammonia hasn't reached its peak suggests your not quite halfway yet. I'd expect the ammonia to rapidly drop to 0 in the next 3-5 days and the nitrite to climb further before it too will drop to 0 probably after 7days - 10 days.

Hello!
We got a 36x18 tank two weeks ago. It has an undergravel filter, and was set up straight away with heater and live plants. We were told it would take three weeks for the water to mature enough to allow fish in. The fish owner gave us a bag of her tank water to start the process. Last week we took a sample of the tank water to her and she checked it for us, the water was just starting to go pink. A week later we took another sample in, but the colour hadn't changed much.:/ We take the third sample in next Wednesday and it should turn red, then the week after is should be pink again, and ready for the fish. The wait is killing us! I bought a bag of daphnia to put in the tank, just to see some movement in there, but they were gone the next day! We have added no chemicals, only some flake food. Would it be safe to add some danios? Or should we just be more patient? I can't stand it, lol! :crazy:

hi and welcome kittyuk hope u learnign as much as i am lol.

this is my first tank too - im so anxious to put fish in it!!! wait lol i put 7 danios in it to start the cycle. in ur case, ur cycling with fish food, which i read is another way to cycle.

if the fishless cycle is working for ya, id suggest just riding it out - its less stressful on the fish that way. but depending on who u ask, ul prolly get a different opinion.

tazz

Friday 22 nov 2002

ammonia: 0.6 - 1.2 (color was kinda closer to 0.6)

tazz

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back