Just Noticed My Coral Beauty Has Whitespot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

idlefingers

Fish Addict
Reaction score
As the title says, I just noticed my coral beauty I bought a couple of weeks ago now has whitespot. :-( I don't have a quarantine tank and even if I did, I doubt I could catch it because I have quite a lot of LR in there. Is there any reef-safe treatments or anything I can do to improve my other fishes chances? I have a UV so hopefully that'll cut down the risk of spread a little.

YOu can try a cleaner wrasse. Or a neon goby if its parasites. But i my be a viral as well. are they little clumps of white spots or one separate one.

Thanks for that. Looks like I'm up a creek without a QT tank. I guess it's just crossed fingers and water changes.

What are the odds of the coral beauty surviving with ich? Only one out of my six fish has it (that I've noticed so far) so is that one destined to die or could it pull through? Are the other fish all likely to catch it, too?

This is depressing..

i think every fish carries ich, i heard it somewhere probably here actually! it only shows when there stressed, in the wild it comes and goes since there in a stress free enviroment. Feed it garlic enreiched brine, garlic will increase its appetite, maintain good quality water, and dont scare it, or watch to see if its bullied in any way. good luck!

dont remove him unless the process isnt going to stress out your other fish, but if you can easily get him out of there it would be for the best. Get him out and go buy two large buckets that are safe for food or aquariums and two air pumps. Fill one bucket with water from the tank and put the fish in there with an air pump. Keep an eye on him and go ahead and treat him with formalin or malachite green or whatever you wish...or just leave him in there. The next day if he's still kicking, mix up some water in the other bucket of a slightly lower salinity, acclimate him slowly to that bucket. Then do the same thing later on in the day, maybe 6 hour later. Keep doing that for two days until you have him in a bucket of hypo saline water. You're basically doing a gradual osmotic shock.

Thanks guys. I don't reckon there's any way I could catch him without ripping the whole thing apart and that's out of the question. I bought some Garlic Guard at lunch today and am going to start doing 10% daily water changes..

I would invest in a small QT tank, you can easily by a second hand one off ebay for cheap! I know it may be abit late now but it may well save you whole tank in the future and you can treat your livestock straight away in it as most treatments (as you will know by now) are not reef safe! So a QT tank is a sound investment! :good:

QT tank is always a good investment but in the event of an emergency a large bucket does the trick. But if you are going to invest in a QT tank, then if you lose this fish and another starts to show signs or symptoms it may be wise to go ahead and break down the tank as much as possible to capture the other fish and quarantine them in hypo salinity for at least two months.

Well he's looking a lot better today - only a few white spots here and there but much less than last night.. Still no other fish seem to be affected so it's looking up a bit.

It's not the cost of a QT tank which puts me off but the fact that I'd have to pull apart my display tank to catch the fish.. I don't know if I could bring myself to do that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back