Just need a bit of advice on my stand

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yat6766

Reaction score
Hi everyone just getting back in the hobby again after a bit time away got a 2ft tank 54 litres and just wondering what everyone thinks about the stand i have put it on the stand says it's max weight is 70kg but it's longer than the tank its a normal sideboard not oak but oak effect apparently seems solid but just wondering if the tank being smaller is an issue.thanks in Advance everyone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230105_193856_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230105_193856_Chrome.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20230104-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20230104-WA0002.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 26
I expect it is made of particle board and will sag over time.
While the tank edges sit nicely over internal baffles (my blue line) transferring the weight down to the lower horizontal piece (red) which has to carry the weight out to the legs.

Ok thank for your reply so it's no good then?been on there about 2 weeks now

Personally, I wouldn't place the tank there. Although it looks fantastic, I think the cabinet will be ruined over time from the weight and splashing water. This is true especially if the back of the cabinet is not finished which particleboard typically is not.

Thank you for your reply.the back is not made of particle board as you say its made of a hardboard material.

I concur with the other posts, over time the top and bottom will sag, the draws will stop functioning well, likely not to fail catastrophically but will slowly become less functional.

you can place a thick piece of plywood or other mostly rigid surface on the top that extends to the ends of the cabinet to distribute at least some of the load over the feet that support the whole structure.

Keep in mind we don't know what it looks like inside. I tend to overbuild my stands so maybe I am not the best to give an opinion.

Ok thanks for your reply I'll try and post a picture of the inside

The inside

Attachments

• 20230105_225402.jpg
    20230105_225402.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 17
The other side

Attachments

• 20230105_225356.jpg
    20230105_225356.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 16
You will want to make sure the front and back edges of the tank are over top the two cross boards that connect to the tops of the vertical draw supports. I am emotionally driven to say I don't like the layout but in all honesty I have two Marineland stands that came with a couple of tank I have and rather than build a new stand I thought I would use them until they showed signs of stress. Both are now a couple of years old and they are still working well. It doesn't look like it would fail without warning, it will still sag but the sag might be in the range that is not too bad. Consider that when it does sag that puts more stress on the glass and tank seals. At this point I would suggest that you monitor it and see how it goes. Its not a large tank but even a gallon of water on the floor is a major cleanup and can be permanently damaging to some floor types.

You will want to make sure the front and back edges of the tank are over top the two cross boards that connect to the tops of the vertical draw supports. I am emotionally driven to say I don't like the layout but in all honesty I have two Marineland stands that came with a couple of tank I have and rather than build a new stand I thought I would use them until they showed signs of stress. Both are now a couple of years old and they are still working well. It doesn't look like it would fail without warning, it will still sag but the sag might be in the range that is not too bad. Consider that when it does sag that puts more stress on the glass and tank seals. At this point I would suggest that you monitor it and see how it goes. Its not a large tank but even a gallon of water on the floor is a major cleanup and can be permanently damaging to some floor types.
Ok thanks for all the help I might look into getting a better stand. the one's that come with the tank look flimsy so not sure what to get I'll have a look about.

Most reactions

Back