Just Installed Diy Co2 !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have some malayasian bogwood in my tank that lowers my KH considerably. I have to buffer with bicarb every water change to keep the KH up.

Use the link I provided you to figure out how much to add.

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/CalKH.as...=&pHChange=0.00

(approximately half a teaspoon of bicarb soda will adjust the approx 33 gallons of water in your tank by 1 degree KH - it's much easier to do everything in degrees of KH.)

I'd do a 50% water change right now, switch the co2 off for tonight, wait til tomorrow morning and test the KH. If it tests at anything below 2 add enough bicarb soda to get it to at least 3. I'd go for 4. Then start with the CO2 tomorrow.

p.s. figure out what's bringing your KH down.

ok thanks guys for everything you said. I'll use that link you provided me with, i just waned a lamens term answer lol.

I'll wait till tomrrow i guess, i'll unhook co2 for now. I been slacking off with the water changes, and because i can only get 50 ppm max from the tap water, i'm sure that was the case.... just in the last couple days i have figured out what all these chemicals are for.. and what they do...
so newbie mistake i suppose. You guys are so much help tho... i jsut stick here glued to my screen to watch for your posts lol. So great i'll try doing that...

How do i convert... ppm to degree btw bro.

Thanks everyone for helping

Yeah, about 18 sounds right...

I prefer degrees because the test kit I use for KH requires me to count the number of drops it takes to turn the water yellow. Each drop is equal to 1 degree, so I don't need to do any math conversions :p

Well i waited over night and no change, added some soda and stuff, then tested after i got home from work (now) and my KH is at about 30ppm (up from 10) and my ph is at 7.0. So i'm running the co2 right now, fish dont seem to have any problems...

But i want this kh up to about 60 right?
so just keep adding soda til it get up there correct?
will this make my ph go above... 7 (which it is currently at )

Edited:

Ok i was just reveiwing the calculations.. and at my current parameters... i'm running about..5ppm for co2.. which sucks...

BUT if i drop the ph to 6.5 and raise the KH to 60ppm i will have 20ppm CO2... but how do i go about... uppping the kh and downing the ph?

thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back