Just inherited a 40 gallon Huge upgrade need help. What plants can I add? How can I add the substrate with the tank full and fish inside?

jupitersky_

Reaction score
Hello Ive inherited a 40 gallon with about 20 comet goldfish and a pleco I know they are very big on releasing lots of waste so I havenā€™t added any substrate to it. Recently I have purchased a black eco planted substrate for promoting plant growth and would appreciate some tips on which plants to get that the goldfish wonā€™t eat. Also have debated putting in my two neon blue dwarf gourami in the tank with them so they have more room than the 10 gallon.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Welcome to TFF
Be advised:
From what I have read, comet goldfish grow to 12 inches. So 20 comet goldfish in a 40 gallon tank will not work out long term. They would require a huge tank for that many goldfish - like over 1000 gallons.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF
Be advised:
From what I have read, comet goldfish grow to 12 inches. So 20 comet goldfish in a 40 gallon tank will not work out long term. They would require a huge tank for that many goldfish - like over 1000 gallons.
Thank you for your comment! I am aware of the sizing issue and do not plan on keeping the goldfish long term. I would like to grow them out a bit and donate them to local fish stores. I would not like to donate them because of sizing at the moment Bc unfortunately but also maybe fortunate for some they are used as bait for other fish and they are so beautiful together this way for now. I am new to fish keeping but would love to make their home better for them by adding substrate and live plants

Some great plants would be amazon sword, floating frogbit or water lettuce, and anubias. The bamboo you have is lovely!

Some great plants would be amazon sword, floating frogbit or water lettuce, and anubias. The bamboo you have is lovely!
11920C2A-BBF4-4641-BC21-D9922EEEF79D.jpeg

I have the Amazon sword in my 10 gallon I have realized now that it is turning black because itā€™s being hit directly with the light and will reposition it tomorrow šŸ˜Æ along with a water change. Do you have a special vacuum for the gravel? Any recommendations? I have a 40 and a 10 gallon now and a regular siphon wonā€™t work for me?

View attachment 144972
I have the Amazon sword in my 10 gallon I have realized now that it is turning black because itā€™s being hit directly with the light and will reposition it tomorrow šŸ˜Æ along with a water change. Do you have a special vacuum for the gravel? Any recommendations? I have a 40 and a 10 gallon now and a regular siphon wonā€™t work for me?
Root tabs will be an Amazon swords best friend! Really lovely 10 gallon!
For my tanks I use an Aqueon Siphon that hooks to my sink. Python brand is supposed to be better, but more expensive.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back