just got a new 10 gallon

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
they will peak usually within a weeka dn stay there for about 1 more week at that point they will drop and nitrites will climb for about the same period of time, then they will drop and nitrates will climb and then drop.

Oh. I bought an ammonia and nitrite test kit...do I need a separate one for nitrates? I didn't see one at the LFS.

Steph, I am sure that there will be others that will tell you that 2 or 3 tigers is good. I personally would never have less than 5 in any of my tanks. Now with that in mind you could get a couple more and maybe a couple of corys and youd be pretty set on fish. Tigers have a tendency to be nippy towards other fish but with 5 I have never had a problem with them and other fish. They always seem to go after each other. One of these days I am going to set up a 29 gal tank and have nothing but tigers as I love the attitude

HTH

Les

To answer your question about the Nitrate test.....YES you should have one for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and Ph. That way you can keep a close eye on the way your tank is performing. The reason you dont see Nitrate tests IMHO is that with good filtration and regular water changes your Nitrate levels shouldnt get high enough to cause problems.....

HTH

Les

hmm...the guy at the fish store told me I didn't really need a ph test...i wonder why...oh well, I will get one if you think I should, as well as a Nitrate test kit.

Also, does anyone have some suggestions as to what kind of plants I could use? I currently hava a Java Fern and that is it. I would like something kinda tall. I have very low light and can't seem to find anything.

I want java ferns but can not find them around here. the only healthy plants any lfs' have in these parts are various swords and green and white acorus

Well I really hate to say this but alot of LFS people dont know **** from shinola.....he was probably figuring that you have the same water as him and didnt take into consideration that people do different things in their tanks and some change Ph levels......not to mention that you local water supply could drop or spike.....Always good to know exactly what water conditions you have so you can best serve the situations that come up........you may have ICH or something but to avoid again you need to find the root and testing the water usually tells alot

Les

yeah, that is probably what he was thinking. I will buy a ph test kit. Thanks for the help :)

Most reactions

trending

Back