Just got a betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fuman_chica

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just bought a male betta, and I was wondering if it is okay to go in my 10 gallon tank with my 3 mollies and my 2 African dwarf frogs. Does anyone know?

There is room if you do the inch per gallon thing. I just wonder if they will get along okay. I know that not all fish are the same, and even if most are okay there is a chance of them not getting along, but I wondered if most do get along okay.

So if anyone could let me know, it would be much a preciated. :D Thanks

Tansy

He there,
From what I understand about Bettas. Sounds like your fish are very good tank mates for your Betta. :D
Usually, male Bettas are only agressive towards other male Bettas OR anyone he thinks is a male Betta. That being said, fish like Guppies are no good. Also, nippy fish like Neons are no good because of the damage they can cause to a slow moving, long finned fish like your Betta.

Go ahead and try your Betta in the tank with the others. Just like people, Bettas have different temperments and it is possible that your little guy just loves his new tankmates or that he wants to destroy them all :grr: . IMO, Stay around for the first hour or so just in case he doesn't play well with others.

Also, just thinking about this, mollies are usually hungry little buggers so make sure you watch at feeding time to see that the Betta gets his fair share.

Good luck with your new addition :)

Will do.

Oh, and should I quarinetine him for a week like I did with my mollies? Or is it okay to just get him adjusted to the temperture of the main tank and then put him in?

infant340 said:
i eard bettas dont need to be quarantine since they are a labirinth fish.so u can if u feel it is necissary.
Quarantining is for a few reasons:
1. To avoid introducing "foreign" germs into your main tank from an infected fish (not all infections show up right away).
2. To make it easier to treat if the new fish has an infection from the LFS, or from transport stress.
3. To acclimatise your new fish to new water parameters (if different from the LFS).

fuman_chica said:
So I should quaratine??? :blink:
Bettas are frequently victims of neglect in LFS and therefore carry ick and fungus. I'm not telling you what to do, however, since I break the rules myself! I think you have to realise it's taking a risk and make your decision accordingly.

Ok. I guess I'll quarantine him. I do it for a week right? Or is it longer? Is it okay to just leave him in the cup I got him in since it will only be for a week? I have another tank I could put him in, but it isn't cycled anymore...so I don't think it would help much.

right now, I have him in the cup that he came in, inside of one of my breeding nets, so that his cup is floating in the water. It has a lid on it. but the lid has a hole in it.

i wish i knew/had a quarantine tank before i got this black moor on friday.. a day after i saw some wierd stuff on him, next thing i knew, by yesterday my other fish had ich. i recommend quarantine 100% :crazy: dno how long for though.

I wouldn't leave him in the cup he came in for a week. Those cups are way too small. You said you have another tank. If it is a small one, you can take tank water from your other, already established tank and use it for him. Then just add him into there with the water he came in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back